Glock vs hk
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock vs hk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Glock vs hk

What are the pros and cons of these to gun company's and how do they compare to each other in shooting and in liability

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

My main thought on the differences are that the Glock is striker fired while the HK is traditional DA/SA.

Glock costs much less than a similar HK.

Both reliable combat pistols. Would bet my life on either.

There are more but these are what stand out the most to me.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

If I was offered a choice, I would go w HK. Over- engineered can be a good thing. The MK 23 was tested and passed military trials - same design as USP line. They've worked on ergonomics a bit (there was room for improvement) P -30 just fired 90K rds.

Does the Glock get the same job done - yes, it is the best bang for the budget.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer the glock but the hk are nice too. I like the glock platform better. If something breaks on it or if you want too upgrade ur glock you can do so with ease no gunsmithing required. Very user friendly and spare parts are available every where. Hk break you have to send it in no parts available. I have two glocks 17 & 23 can detail strip and change out any part with ease.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #5

I checked out a friends P-30 a while back. It was very nice. I decided on Glock, just my preference. Cost was definitely a factor.
On a side note, I asked him where the safety was and he said he carried without one the pipe. That's his safety. I would personally have the manual thumb safety. They make them both ways. To each there own.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Glocks are hideous. But, that doesn't keep me from carrying a Glock daily. Truly my choice? CCW is, but not duty. I choose to carry a Glock off duty because it is easier to stay proficient with one style/make if firearm.

HK are known for quality and reliability. They aren't, however, on my short or long list.

Shoot a couple different Glocks and a couple different HKs. Thats the only way you can justify your purchase.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #7

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

My HK USP in Stainless broke a leaf spring after 500 rounds. It is probably the exception rather than the norm but I have owned many Glocks with zero parts breaking. I ended up getting it fixed under warranty and trading it for a brand new G19.
I love the HK P7 and carry one when size matters. I love the design.
HK's are very expensive but one of the best hammer style guns.
Except for my old 1911, I only have striker fired pistols.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #8

I would go with Glock everytime!... Not saying that HK is bad I just like glock's durability,simplicity,reability better I have owned a Glock for like 5 years and have never had any problems at all! In my opinion Glock is THE way to go

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

H&K over a glock any day, better machining, better overal quality, it hard to ask most people that have only ever drove a Ford focus which do you prefer the focus or the BMW 5 series. You figure out which is which

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

HK does have some fantastic offerings but at 2 or 3 times the price. My only deal breaker on owning an HK is I don't like DA/SA pistols; it's one of the only reasons I don't own a Beretta 92/M9. I carry and shoot either Glocks, M&Ps or 1911 and I like a constant trigger pull, even though I'm 100% positive that the HK triggers are finer than frog hair I want it to be the same all the time.

The Glocks edge out every other gun manufacturer in aftermarket part availability and are probably only 2nd to the 1911 in parts available for a specific style or platform. You can find magazines, holsters and every other conceivable item for a Glock at just about every gun shop but I couldn't tell you the last time I went to a shop and saw a rack of HK mags.

In the end weapons from both manufacturers are going to give you a ton of reliable service so it's up to you and your wallet on how you want to get from A to B but before I lay down the coin for either, take a look at what it is going to cost you for a holster and 5 extra magazines from a few places and factor that in to the equation. If you can get the HK extras for the same cost and availability as the Glocks and don't mind the price difference between the two, go with what you like.