Glock vs. 1911 - Thoughts on an Ongoing Debate
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock vs. 1911 - Thoughts on an Ongoing Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Glock vs. 1911 - Thoughts on an Ongoing Debate

I've been on gun forums long enough to know that if you want to stir up a hornet's next of controversy, just go ahead and say that the 1911 is an old, worn out design or say that the Glock is just a plastic pistol, a hunk of junk.

Sadly, some new people to guns and shooting get caught up in these stupid discussions.

Here is a video I made that I hope adds a bit of light and less heat to the discussion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2222 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Well my first thought is it looks like you have a BHP and a Glock on the video splash screen.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Like the guy in the video, I'll take both!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Frankly, I don't understand the debate.

Every handgun has advantages and drawbacks. Even the beloved 1911 or adored Glock.

I think the fanboys blind themselves to the disadvantages because they might have to admit their choice is not perfect. For the most part these are damn fine guns but I own neither one of them because they don't fit my needs. This despite the fact that fans of the platforms will try to crowbar them into being a one-size fits all solution.

That said, I try not to be the same way and try to be honest that my gun purchases are not "perfect" but I'll rate most of them as very good. Sometimes you do just get a bad gun, but with better research available these days I can largely mitigate that problem.

What really is weird about 1911 vs. Glock is that they are so different I don't know how anyone can logically think that is an "apples to apples" comparison. Other than both being short-recoil autoloading handguns they have very little in common.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 2498

I own a genuine Colt Govt. Mdl. 1911A1.
Many years ago,
while in the Army,
several times,
I shot expert with the .45.
I have fired the Glock 21 a few times
thinking of buying one.
Did Not Feel right in my hand.
Did not buy it.
If it was comfortable,
Would have one now.
At one time I fired all the Glock models,
except the Mdl. 18.
I think Glocks are great firearms.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What is the point in these posts/debates? They're two completely different handguns. Polymer and steel/aluminum. Single action/ double action, they can not be compared. It's like saying would you rather have a diesel pickup or a street bike? They have 2 purposes and both excel in their own fields. Drop the argument, it's pointless and redundant. Congrats, you're the 11234 person to ask this question.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I like 'em both. Wouldn't want to get shot with either.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #8

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_town View Post
What is the point in these posts/debates? They're two completely different handguns. Polymer and steel/aluminum. Single action/ double action, they can not be compared. It's like saying would you rather have a diesel pickup or a street bike? They have 2 purposes and both excel in their own fields. Drop the argument, it's pointless and redundant. Congrats, you're the 11234 person to ask this question.
Exactly. It's also not a binary proposition. If you own a Glock and purchase a 1911 I'm pretty sure the universe won't collapse on itself.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know, I have a g23 and a Kimber and I love them equally. I can drive nails all day with my Kimber but I prefer to carry my glock for mag capacity and it will fire everytime I pull the trigger, 1911's are more picky with ammo as everyone knows. If I was carrying it everyday and wanted to put my life on one, I'd go with my glock.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2222 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
I've been on gun forums long enough to know that if you want to stir up a hornet's next of controversy, just go ahead and say that the 1911 is an old, worn out design or say that the Glock is just a plastic pistol, a hunk of junk.

Sadly, some new people to guns and shooting get caught up in these stupid discussions.

Here is a video I made that I hope adds a bit of light and less heat to the discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInBTXMgd_k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Well my first thought is it looks like you have a BHP and a Glock on the video splash screen.
That looks much better.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA