Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Glock vs. 1911 - Thoughts on an Ongoing Debate (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/glock-vs-1911-thoughts-ongoing-debate-87324/)

Amsdorf 03-24-2013 10:24 PM

Glock vs. 1911 - Thoughts on an Ongoing Debate

I've been on gun forums long enough to know that if you want to stir up a hornet's next of controversy, just go ahead and say that the 1911 is an old, worn out design or say that the Glock is just a plastic pistol, a hunk of junk.

Sadly, some new people to guns and shooting get caught up in these stupid discussions.

Here is a video I made that I hope adds a bit of light and less heat to the discussion.

ScottA 03-24-2013 10:26 PM

Well my first thought is it looks like you have a BHP and a Glock on the video splash screen.

steadyshot 03-24-2013 10:31 PM

Like the guy in the video, I'll take both!:D

CrazedJava 03-25-2013 03:27 PM

Frankly, I don't understand the debate.

Every handgun has advantages and drawbacks. Even the beloved 1911 or adored Glock.

I think the fanboys blind themselves to the disadvantages because they might have to admit their choice is not perfect. For the most part these are damn fine guns but I own neither one of them because they don't fit my needs. This despite the fact that fans of the platforms will try to crowbar them into being a one-size fits all solution.

That said, I try not to be the same way and try to be honest that my gun purchases are not "perfect" but I'll rate most of them as very good. Sometimes you do just get a bad gun, but with better research available these days I can largely mitigate that problem.

What really is weird about 1911 vs. Glock is that they are so different I don't know how anyone can logically think that is an "apples to apples" comparison. Other than both being short-recoil autoloading handguns they have very little in common.

shadecorp 03-25-2013 04:58 PM

I own a genuine Colt Govt. Mdl. 1911A1.
Many years ago,
while in the Army,
several times,
I shot expert with the .45.
I have fired the Glock 21 a few times
thinking of buying one.
Did Not Feel right in my hand.
Did not buy it.
If it was comfortable,
Would have one now.
At one time I fired all the Glock models,
except the Mdl. 18.
I think Glocks are great firearms.

P_town 03-25-2013 05:08 PM

What is the point in these posts/debates? They're two completely different handguns. Polymer and steel/aluminum. Single action/ double action, they can not be compared. It's like saying would you rather have a diesel pickup or a street bike? They have 2 purposes and both excel in their own fields. Drop the argument, it's pointless and redundant. Congrats, you're the 11234 person to ask this question.

RUG3R44 03-25-2013 05:14 PM

I like 'em both. Wouldn't want to get shot with either.

CrazedJava 03-25-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_town (Post 1189979)
What is the point in these posts/debates? They're two completely different handguns. Polymer and steel/aluminum. Single action/ double action, they can not be compared. It's like saying would you rather have a diesel pickup or a street bike? They have 2 purposes and both excel in their own fields. Drop the argument, it's pointless and redundant. Congrats, you're the 11234 person to ask this question.

Exactly. It's also not a binary proposition. If you own a Glock and purchase a 1911 I'm pretty sure the universe won't collapse on itself.

P_town 03-25-2013 05:20 PM

I know, I have a g23 and a Kimber and I love them equally. I can drive nails all day with my Kimber but I prefer to carry my glock for mag capacity and it will fire everytime I pull the trigger, 1911's are more picky with ammo as everyone knows. If I was carrying it everyday and wanted to put my life on one, I'd go with my glock.

ScottA 03-25-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amsdorf (Post 1189055)
I've been on gun forums long enough to know that if you want to stir up a hornet's next of controversy, just go ahead and say that the 1911 is an old, worn out design or say that the Glock is just a plastic pistol, a hunk of junk.

Sadly, some new people to guns and shooting get caught up in these stupid discussions.

Here is a video I made that I hope adds a bit of light and less heat to the discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInBTXMgd_k

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 1189059)
Well my first thought is it looks like you have a BHP and a Glock on the video splash screen.

That looks much better.