Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock or Smith & Wesson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Default Glock or Smith & Wesson

So I'm debating between a glock 19 and an M&P9. The MP feels slightly more accurate and better in my hand (though that's negligible as they both feel comfortable and adjustable back straps are offered with both), however the glock is of course easier to clean and maintain. What are y'all's thoughts on each gun? Please give valid reasons, don't just go "oh glock is better".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
So I'm debating between a glock 19 and an M&P9. The MP feels slightly more accurate and better in my hand (though that's negligible as they both feel comfortable and adjustable back straps are offered with both), however the glock is of course easier to clean and maintain. What are y'all's thoughts on each gun? Please give valid reasons, don't just go "oh glock is better".

Whatchootalkinbout? This is news to me?

I think the original striker fired design that that Glock so masterfully marketed to the world is a very good one for several reasons. I Think Smith & Wesson has refined the design and is making a better product. I also like to spend my American dollars on American made products produced by American owned companies.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #3

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Get both, then you wont have to lay awake at night wondering if you shoulda bought the other.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

I was debating the same to guns just a month ago. I really liked the look and feel of the m&p. It felt better in my hand than the glock. BUT...I hated the trigger on the m&p. It would have cost me a couple hundred bucks to completely change out the trigger assembly with apex parts. That made for around $700 for a polymer 9mm. Too much for a plastic gun IMO. I got accustomed to the glock feel and trigger almost immediately. I was more accurate with the G19 simply because of the trigger. I ended up buying a used Gen 4 G19 for $400. I took it to glock and had them update all the internals and it's now a brand new gun (internally) with an amazing trigger. If S&W updates their trigger system, I might reconsider in the future. For now I love my G19.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glock is my choice but that is just me.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I recently bought my first Glock. As a died in the wool S&W guy it was a very difficult decision. The ONLY reason I went with a Glock was S&W does not make an M&P in 10mm. If I was choosing between the models listed, I would absofreakinglutely go Smith.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
I am the Fanman
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem8
I was debating the same to guns just a month ago. I really liked the look and feel of the m&p. It felt better in my hand than the glock. BUT...I hated the trigger on the m&p. It would have cost me a couple hundred bucks to completely change out the trigger assembly with apex parts. That made for around $700 for a polymer 9mm. Too much for a plastic gun IMO. I got accustomed to the glock feel and trigger almost immediately. I was more accurate with the G19 simply because of the trigger. I ended up buying a used Gen 4 G19 for $400. I took it to glock and had them update all the internals and it's now a brand new gun (internally) with an amazing trigger. If S&W updates their trigger system, I might reconsider in the future. For now I love my G19.
actually its only $90

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Do some research on the m&p9. I bought my m&p 40. Which I am very happy with. Then I did some research and found that I can switch out the barrels to a 9mm and a .357 mag barrel. Essentially making it 3 guns in one. Now I'm ecstatic about it... Not sure about the G19. But I know you can also do the same with the G22 and G23.

Plus the mags are universal. A .357 rnd will fit in a m&p .40 mag. They are the same mag for both types. And a 9mm mag fits perfectly in the m&p40. So all you have to do is switch the barrel

Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #9

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds
Do some research on the m&p9. I bought my m&p 40. Which I am very happy with. Then I did some research and found that I can switch out the barrels to a 9mm and a .357 mag barrel. Essentially making it 3 guns in one. Now I'm ecstatic about it... Not sure about the G19. But I know you can also do the same with the G22 and G23.

Plus the mags are universal. A .357 rnd will fit in a m&p .40 mag. They are the same mag for both types. And a 9mm mag fits perfectly in the m&p40. So all you have to do is switch the barrel
You need to switch out the recoil spring as well. The 9mm isn't powerful enough to consistently compress the spring designed for .40

Back on track...

Get the M&P. Quit sending all our money overseas.

Don't be like Obama .

OMG! = Obama Must Go!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Glad I bought the .40 then