Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Glock or Smith & Wesson (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/glock-smith-wesson-71169/)

potentialglock 08-26-2012 05:40 PM

Glock or Smith & Wesson

So I'm debating between a glock 19 and an M&P9. The MP feels slightly more accurate and better in my hand (though that's negligible as they both feel comfortable and adjustable back straps are offered with both), however the glock is of course easier to clean and maintain. What are y'all's thoughts on each gun? Please give valid reasons, don't just go "oh glock is better".

cswann1 08-26-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 916682)
So I'm debating between a glock 19 and an M&P9. The MP feels slightly more accurate and better in my hand (though that's negligible as they both feel comfortable and adjustable back straps are offered with both), however the glock is of course easier to clean and maintain. What are y'all's thoughts on each gun? Please give valid reasons, don't just go "oh glock is better".

Whatchootalkinbout? This is news to me?

I think the original striker fired design that that Glock so masterfully marketed to the world is a very good one for several reasons. I Think Smith & Wesson has refined the design and is making a better product. I also like to spend my American dollars on American made products produced by American owned companies.

phildenton 08-27-2012 03:20 AM

Get both, then you wont have to lay awake at night wondering if you shoulda bought the other.

stevem8 08-27-2012 03:25 AM

I was debating the same to guns just a month ago. I really liked the look and feel of the m&p. It felt better in my hand than the glock. BUT...I hated the trigger on the m&p. It would have cost me a couple hundred bucks to completely change out the trigger assembly with apex parts. That made for around $700 for a polymer 9mm. Too much for a plastic gun IMO. I got accustomed to the glock feel and trigger almost immediately. I was more accurate with the G19 simply because of the trigger. I ended up buying a used Gen 4 G19 for $400. I took it to glock and had them update all the internals and it's now a brand new gun (internally) with an amazing trigger. If S&W updates their trigger system, I might reconsider in the future. For now I love my G19.

GaMatt72 08-27-2012 04:00 AM

Glock is my choice but that is just me.

robocop10mm 08-27-2012 04:48 AM

I recently bought my first Glock. As a died in the wool S&W guy it was a very difficult decision. The ONLY reason I went with a Glock was S&W does not make an M&P in 10mm. If I was choosing between the models listed, I would absofreakinglutely go Smith.

Wiseman3 08-27-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem8
I was debating the same to guns just a month ago. I really liked the look and feel of the m&p. It felt better in my hand than the glock. BUT...I hated the trigger on the m&p. It would have cost me a couple hundred bucks to completely change out the trigger assembly with apex parts. That made for around $700 for a polymer 9mm. Too much for a plastic gun IMO. I got accustomed to the glock feel and trigger almost immediately. I was more accurate with the G19 simply because of the trigger. I ended up buying a used Gen 4 G19 for $400. I took it to glock and had them update all the internals and it's now a brand new gun (internally) with an amazing trigger. If S&W updates their trigger system, I might reconsider in the future. For now I love my G19.

actually its only $90

psymmonds 08-27-2012 05:43 AM

Do some research on the m&p9. I bought my m&p 40. Which I am very happy with. Then I did some research and found that I can switch out the barrels to a 9mm and a .357 mag barrel. Essentially making it 3 guns in one. Now I'm ecstatic about it... Not sure about the G19. But I know you can also do the same with the G22 and G23.

Plus the mags are universal. A .357 rnd will fit in a m&p .40 mag. They are the same mag for both types. And a 9mm mag fits perfectly in the m&p40. So all you have to do is switch the barrel

mudpupp 08-27-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psymmonds
Do some research on the m&p9. I bought my m&p 40. Which I am very happy with. Then I did some research and found that I can switch out the barrels to a 9mm and a .357 mag barrel. Essentially making it 3 guns in one. Now I'm ecstatic about it... Not sure about the G19. But I know you can also do the same with the G22 and G23.

Plus the mags are universal. A .357 rnd will fit in a m&p .40 mag. They are the same mag for both types. And a 9mm mag fits perfectly in the m&p40. So all you have to do is switch the barrel

You need to switch out the recoil spring as well. The 9mm isn't powerful enough to consistently compress the spring designed for .40

Back on track...

Get the M&P. Quit sending all our money overseas.

Don't be like Obama .

OMG! = Obama Must Go!

psymmonds 08-27-2012 09:22 AM

Glad I bought the .40 then