Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock (or any semi auto pistol) SBR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Glock (or any semi auto pistol) SBR?

Hello. This is my first post here. I hope that I've put it in the correct forum.

I've owned many firearms in the past. I particularly like shorter, lighter guns, but I also like accuracy. I could go the route of building and registering a AR short barrel, but that would cost about 1000 dollars after building and paying the tax for the SBR, considering it was even approved.

I really want either a Glock or an MPA (mac clone). I like the size, accuracy, durability, and vast options for magazines and attachments. However, I do not like the lack of shoulder stock. So I want to find out how I can legally put one on a gun like these, and keep the cost down, while remaining legal.

Is it legal to put a stock on either of these guns without registering an SBR? The glock seems to be the easiest to do this with. I am also wondering about the fore-end grip. That seems to have legal issues with a pistol, also.

I know there's conversion kits, but for that price, I'm back looking at an SBR AR rifle.

I don't understand why these laws exist to begin with. I understand concealment, but damn.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7563 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

First, if you start asking for laws to make sense, I am certain that you will have many diasappointments in life.

As far as adding a shoulder stock to a handgun- no. A handgun is defined as being fired from the HAND (note the singular case of the noun HAND?) Adding a shoulder stock to a modern handgun makes it an SBR. So does adding a grip for the other HAND- as in a vertical handgrip.

Now go get the duct tape, wrap your head so it does not explode BEFORE you read the next-

A Browning Hi-Power, a P08 Luger, or a Mauser broomhandle pistol that was configured to acccept a shoulder stock can be equipped with an ORIGINAL shoulder stock, and NOT be an SBR. Exception in the law.

You may want to look at some of the bullpup designs- they can use a 16 inch bbl, have overall 26 inches, and still be very small.

EDIT: Dang it- where ARE my manners? first post? Welcome to the forums- good folks here, locals friendly, don't bite TOO much. When you get a minute, stop by the intro section, and say howdy.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-17-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Welcome All, Please Read << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would think the two most practical and cost effective directions to take would be either:

AR pistol (no stock)- Can build for under $700. You can get complete pistol kits (everything minus the stripped lower) here for well under $600.

Kel-Tec Sub 2000- Very light and compact pistol caliber (9mm/40sw) carbine rifle, cost is around $350 most places. They're quite simple and reliable, and can accept Glock mags. I really think this is could a good solution for you...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Don't forget the lil Draco AK-type pistol. Romanian AK Draco Pistol #AKAGUN-PIS (available at many places, not just this one)

Still no stock, but you could use a sling. $350~ + shipping.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies... I'm still pretty frustrated with it all.

I've already had my share of the curio/relic guns like the mauser. Wasn't happy with my romanian AK, so I think that puts that out of the picture. I've seen a few AR pistol kits, but it seems like a full mag would put a lot of weight there where your grip hand is, making it harder to hold up and get a good shot in. That's my beef with pretty-much all pistols. Either the barrel is too long making it too front-heavy, or it's too heavy in back making it harder to sight.

Bullpups are probably my favorite. I'd die for a Bushmaster M17S. Can't afford it though. The Sub2000 is definitely on my list, as is the MPA carbine (although it is hard to find).

Does anyone know if kel tec is going to continue making their 22WMR carbine? That looked like a nice target gun, but I hear they discontinued them due to keyholing issues.

Last edited by wcohio; 06-19-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: incorrect brand

Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

One of the very few times the laws here actually work out better.
This is still considered a pistol. Based on a ruger charger and nordic kit

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You're such an ar$ehole

Next time I'm down your way I'm definitely hitting you up

Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
You're such an ar$ehole

Next time I'm down your way I'm definitely hitting you up
Make sure you do! Should have the the HERA GCC up and going by then (think glock carbine )

Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That looks like a nice shooter, and ruger is a definite plus on it. So this is totally legal with no hassle? What kit did you use to convert the charger? I can only find that kit for the 10/22. Thanks