Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock 39 vs. Springfield XD/XDm .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 39 vs. Springfield XD/XDm .45

How does the Glock 39 compare to a similar Springfield XD .45 or XDm .45? Barrel length of each? Felt re-coil? etc.?

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I'm not an expert by any means and have never owned either, but I do have friends with both and I know what they say. From what I have gathered a lot of "Glock guys" would buy a Hi-point if it said Glock on the box. In reality they are great guns, but they have that "If its not a Harley Davidson, its not worth having" feel, anyway, to get to the point, most slightly prefer the XD for whatever reason. Sorry im not much help, just giving my two cents.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I'm not an expert by any means and have never owned either, but I do have friends with both and I know what they say. From what I have gathered a lot of "Glock guys" would buy a Hi-point if it said Glock on the box. In reality they are great guns, but they have that "If its not a Harley Davidson, its not worth having" feel, anyway, to get to the point, most slightly prefer the XD for whatever reason. Sorry im not much help, just giving my two cents.
On the contrary, your post is quite helpful. While heavier, the extra weight of the XD should help absorb the recoil from the .45. Much appreciated.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're bordering on comparing apples to oranges here. The Glock 36 is a single stack pistol while the other 2 are double stack 45s. A double stack is going to have more weight than the single stack and tame recoil better generally speaking. If you're out for a full-sized pistol I'd recommend going for the XDm-45 since its an excellent shooter or the Glock 21 (whichever your tastes suit), but if you're out for the short version more for concealment I'd suggest the sub-compact XD or the Glock 30sf. The 3.5 inch XDm is basically the XDm with the extra inch cut off the barrel with the full size frame and can take some creativeness to conceal.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
You're bordering on comparing apples to oranges here. The Glock 36 is a single stack pistol while the other 2 are double stack 45s. A double stack is going to have more weight than the single stack and tame recoil better generally speaking. If you're out for a full-sized pistol I'd recommend going for the XDm-45 since its an excellent shooter or the Glock 21 (whichever your tastes suit), but if you're out for the short version more for concealment I'd suggest the sub-compact XD or the Glock 30sf. The 3.5 inch XDm is basically the XDm with the extra inch cut off the barrel with the full size frame and can take some creativeness to conceal.
Thanks! I hadn't considered the Glock 30 sf, and I wasn't sure if there was a sub-compact XD in .45. What do you think of the Glock 39?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for the bit of confusion, I thought you were asking about the Glock 36, not sure how that happened. I suppose it was because I'd just woken up, my brain must not have been completely in the "on' position.
The Glock 39 I'm personally not a big fan of, but it does have its niche in the gun-market, which is usually a very specialized purpose. For a .45 GAP its capacity is 6 in the mag and 1 in chamber, which is a bit limited for my liking. Not to mention finding ammo much less, defense ammo, in .45 GAP can be a bit tougher than finding it in the .45 ACP, they arent the same so dont confuse them, because its a simple mistake lots have made.
The direct competition for the Glock 30sf is the 4" XD in 45acp, that's what I was speaking of, I mis-labeled it as sub-compact since that's what the Glock 30sf is labeled as. I didnt like the 4" XD 45acp, because of personal ergonmics of it. The dimensions of the two pistols differ a bit and you really have to pick them up to see what suits you best.
Check out some videos on youtube of the guns you're interested in to get an idea of what the gun is like so you know what to look for in the store. Just remember to take most of what's said with a grain of salt.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Sorry for the bit of confusion, I thought you were asking about the Glock 36, not sure how that happened. I suppose it was because I'd just woken up, my brain must not have been completely in the "on' position.
The Glock 39 I'm personally not a big fan of, but it does have its niche in the gun-market, which is usually a very specialized purpose. For a .45 GAP its capacity is 6 in the mag and 1 in chamber, which is a bit limited for my liking. Not to mention finding ammo much less, defense ammo, in .45 GAP can be a bit tougher than finding it in the .45 ACP, they arent the same so dont confuse them, because its a simple mistake lots have made.
The direct competition for the Glock 30sf is the 4" XD in 45acp, that's what I was speaking of, I mis-labeled it as sub-compact since that's what the Glock 30sf is labeled as. I didnt like the 4" XD 45acp, because of personal ergonmics of it. The dimensions of the two pistols differ a bit and you really have to pick them up to see what suits you best.
Check out some videos on youtube of the guns you're interested in to get an idea of what the gun is like so you know what to look for in the store. Just remember to take most of what's said with a grain of salt.
Thank you, Ruzai. This is quite helpful. The XD 4" .45 ACP suddenly looks like the way to go.

Last edited by Owl1024; 01-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've owned both Glocks and XDm in several calibers.

I do not care for the grip angle of a Glock nor their looks, they just are not pretty to me IMHO.

I really like Springfield XDm - I've owned / shot XDm's in several calibers and they just handle and shoot well for me.

I like Sig Sauer's and CZ's and I suggest you look into them.

The Sig will be a little higher in price, but the CZ will be lower in price.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
I've owned both Glocks and XDm in several calibers.

I do not care for the grip angle of a Glock nor their looks, they just are not pretty to me IMHO.

I really like Springfield XDm - I've owned / shot XDm's in several calibers and they just handle and shoot well for me.

I like Sig Sauer's and CZ's and I suggest you look into them.

The Sig will be a little higher in price, but the CZ will be lower in price.

The Sig P250 looks interesting.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I own a XD45 with the 5" barrel. I don't carry, but i do think it could be a challenge to conceal. It has been a very reliable firearm and shoots about as accurately as i am capable of at reasonable ranges. Perhaps the XD45 compact would be a decent compromise.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.