Glock 30 v FNX 45 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock 30 v FNX 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found a 30 today used, 4 mags night sights for 560 but you can tell there's been a lot of wear and tear on it so I don't know 100 bucks and I'd have new one but waiting awhile... I'm on the fence

Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by augimatic
I found a 30 today used, 4 mags night sights for 560 but you can tell there's been a lot of wear and tear on it so I don't know 100 bucks and I'd have new one but waiting awhile... I'm on the fence
I'd pass. I waited 3 months but with waiting you get a new firearm that's not beat up.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #23

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Im not a big glock fan but its mainly a personal preference thing. But fn is also making some nice stuff so i'd go with the fn

Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've owned both,
1) the model 30 glock (that holds 10 rounds and is compact)
BTW, the glock model 36 is compact and only holds 6 rounds and the SLIDE is the same thickness (width) so you are NOT gaining anything for CCW.
2) and the full sized FNX-45 that holds 15 rounds + 1 up the spout.
I bought my FNX as a back up.
I currently carry a full sized Kimber Polymer TArget that holds 14 + 1.

The secret to being able to carry it comfortably is to have a good holster (I have a comp-tac "c-tac" inside the waist band kydex) and a SUPER GOOD GUN BELT. The belt MUST be 1-1/2 inches wide and it MUST be 1/4 inch THICK. I had a nice high quality leather belt that was 1-1/2 x only 1/8 thick and the gun/holster MOVED around all the time and would rub you raw! (so then you leave it at home or carry something SMALLER that is LESS Effective!)
I just ordered the super tuck DELUXE from crossbread holsters
https://crossbreedholsters.com for the FNX.
I bought the FNX in case my KIMBER dies (it is 12 years old) and I can no longer buy parts etc as Kimber no longer makes this weapon. (that's why the FNX is a "back up". When the kimber fails, the FNX will become my ccw)
The advantage and disadvantages as I see them:
Glock.... it's smaller, therefore easier to conceal
FNX..... holds 5 more bullets.
FNX..... easier to take down . They come apart very similar, but on the glock you have to pull down on the two little slides on the side while holding the slide back 1/8 of an inch. This is not always easy! (wait till you get old and get arthritis). The FNX you lock the slide back, turn a lever, and move the slide off the weapon. The recoil spring looks to be the same design.
FNX.... since it is larger, it has a longer sight radius and the barrel is longer.
Glock.... is about $550 -$600
FNX..... is about $799 but comes with THREE 15 round mags.
GLOCK and FNX mags are very close in price.... $49 to $42 bucks each.
HTH
Bob

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow thanks bob that's the type of info I wanted and I'm picking up my FNX this Friday I went that way because I didn't think I could or wanted to wait 3 months for a glock that may not show but now I'm glad I went FNX

Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

congrats on your FNX purchase. (now all you need is an FN/FAL )
Remember, that your FNX has a safety (like the 1911) so I carry mine cocked and locked with one up the pipe for a total of 16 rounds. (actually I'm still carrying my kimber with 15 +1).
The safety is also a DECOCKER.. so you can put one up the pipe and push the "safety" all the way down and the hammer drops (but does NOT fire).
THEN, you can shoot the first round double action if you so desired. The trigger pull is LONG and hard though and then you have to transition back to SA afterwards. I just carry mine 1911 style.
I ordered a holster from crossbreed. they told me it'll be SIX weeks.
IT will be worth it though.
Keep your powder dry.
OH, and BTW... with the straight spring housing plastic grip piece I was shooting LOW. I put the arched "spring housing" piece on and that brought it up more. I have to play with it more. I might still buy some BOMAR adjustable sights. Remember though, a BIG target sight lets OLD eyes see!! With the RIGHT holster, the only drawback to the big target sights is that you fray your shirts there so I buy my shirts CHEEP at Kohls on sale. Hawaiian shirts are good "urban camoflage" so you do NOT "print". Dark colors with a pattern are good, dark colors (solid) are okay. Light colors plain seem to show.
you might also try to go to fiveseven.com I ordered 3 more FIFTEEN round mags before uncle sugar says I can't have them.
Keep me posted on how you like this. I found a good load for it too.
I've also fired it with factory ball 230 grain sellier & bellot, Remington 230 grain JHP, My reloads which is a 230 ball from Montanagoldbullets.com with 5.4 grains of win 231 with a standard large pistol winchester brand primers in mixed cases., and 200 grain SWC lead. It fired em all without a hickup.
Good luck.