Glock 30 v FNX 45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock 30 v FNX 45

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
augimatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Glock 30 v FNX 45

I know this is a really odd comparison but I was looking to start carrying and I was originally going to try and get a glock 30 but with glock being back ordered for 90 days or more I may not be able to get my hands on it I however have wanted to get a FNX 45 but I'm not sure how that would work out as a carry piece so I'm just looking for thoughts.... Thoughts?

__________________
augimatic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,467
Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Default

Glock 36. smaller, lighter, rounded.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by augimatic
I know this is a really odd comparison but I was looking to start carrying and I was originally going to try and get a glock 30 but with glock being back ordered for 90 days or more I may not be able to get my hands on it I however have wanted to get a FNX 45 but I'm not sure how that would work out as a carry piece so I'm just looking for thoughts.... Thoughts?
If the fnx45 is anywhere near the size of the fnp45 I once had I would say glock, I would have needed to have a rolling Duffel Bag to CC that FNP.

The glock 30 to me seems like a great Do-all gun,small enough for comfortable CC,yet big enough that it is plenty for a nightstand or truck gun.
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
allegreenlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 40
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Glock 36. smaller, lighter, rounded.
I just picked up a glock 36 and i love it for a carry gun, it seems like the perfect choice.
__________________
allegreenlee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Glock 36. smaller, lighter, rounded.
At the expense of 4 rounds,and normally I'm a disciple of if you need more than 3 or 4,than your in over your head anyways seeing as my carry guns are a 5-shot ruger sp101 and a 1911 commander that I don't even carry +1.

But if I was gonna limit myself to 6 rounds in a semi I would go for a officer sized 1911 and pick up an extra round. Just seems like a big sacrifice cutting your firepower by 40% for a little extra comfort in concealment. But I guess everybody's ideal ratio of firepower/concealment is different .
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,467
Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
At the expense of 4 rounds,and normally I'm a disciple of if you need more than 3 or 4,than your in over your head anyways seeing as my carry guns are a 5-shot ruger sp101 and a 1911 commander that I don't even carry +1.

But if I was gonna limit myself to 6 rounds in a semi I would go for a officer sized 1911 and pick up an extra round. Just seems like a big sacrifice cutting your firepower by 40% for a little extra comfort in concealment. But I guess everybody's ideal ratio of firepower/concealment is different .
A G36 weighs in at 28 oz loaded with 7 230's on board. The lightest 1911 is 25 oz empty. Personally I am restricted to 30 oz max due to an injury so my only other choice is go down in caliber to keep the weight down while raising the round count. The G36 also has a longer barrel than the Officers Model. The rest of the Glocks are too fat for my hand. My G36 has been touched up a bit and has night sights. I also have an SR9c Ruger which is the same weight loaded with 11 124's. The SP101 loaded is in the same weight range.
__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ

A G36 weighs in at 28 oz loaded with 7 230's on board. The lightest 1911 is 25 oz empty. Personally I am restricted to 30 oz max due to an injury so my only other choice is go down in caliber to keep the weight down while raising the round count. The G36 also has a longer barrel than the Officers Model. The rest of the Glocks are too fat for my hand. My G36 has been touched up a bit and has night sights. I also have an SR9c Ruger which is the same weight loaded with 11 124's. The SP101 loaded is in the same weight range.
Sounds like a g30 is a great option for you,glad you found what works for you. I usually wear a tool belt that weighs much more than any gun most of the day so weight isn't that big of a factor for me provided I have a appropriate holster.

I didnt even consider weight when I responded,I reckon that is a very big factor to slot of folks
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,467
Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Default

I used to wear a heavy tool belt too until a hit and run driver nailed me in a crosswalk. Get yourself a set of heavy duty suspender type straps. Really takes a load off your lower back. You will be glad you did when you get older. I can go with a heavier pistol if I wear suspenders but dont like to.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,508
Liked 3065 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Default

Might I suggest that the OP read this: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f45/please-read-before-posting-11120/

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
augimatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Let me ask this any of you guys trying to carry a full size gun? Say like even a smaller caliber glock 17? Thanks for the input

__________________
augimatic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
glock 19 gen3 or glock 19 gen4 ajs19ad6 General Handgun Discussion 14 10-03-2012 06:29 AM
I see S&Wvs.Glock,Glockvs.XD,XDvs.S&W&Glock, ect.. DodgerBlue Semi-Auto Handguns 24 04-14-2012 06:37 AM
Frame from 3rd gen Glock 32 interchangeable with 2nd gen Glock 19/23? FlintandSteel General Handgun Discussion 3 02-09-2011 05:19 PM