Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Glock 22 gen 4 1st of many to come (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/glock-22-gen-4-1st-many-come-60228/)

Big_Cat 03-14-2012 06:07 PM

Glock 22 gen 4 1st of many to come

I took my lovely new weapon out for the first time & put about 200 rounds through it. Damned if my hand didn't get tired, I was planning on going through 400 rounds. I developed a lovely blister on the top part of my thumb where it meets the bottom of the slide. Is this normal since I'm a new handgun owner & what can I do to avoid this in the future? My thoughts would be to keep on shooting & toughen up the skin. I would greatly appreciate & welcome any & all comments.

sigeptendo 03-15-2012 01:14 AM

I'm by no means an expert, but as you suggested, I'd think I'd just keep shooting. You'll likely build up a callus much like many people do when continually using their hands for various things. As long as you enjoy the gun and it feels good in your hand I'd keep with it.

Big_Cat 03-15-2012 02:34 AM

Yeah I was using the Large backstrap for it which felt best, afterwards I invested in a Houge grip which feels awesome. Btw, that is hard to put on. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the feedback, I love my glock, and am waiting my 30 days to pick up my S&W M & P to see how that shoots. Gotta build up that callus quick.

jsimion423 03-15-2012 12:35 PM

I used to always carry a glock 26, or the 27. I never had this problem with them but when I got the 22gen4 I noticed the same thing after about 300 rounds. I also experimented with the back straps and found it best for me to not use any. But overall I think it's my favorite glock I own. I plan on getting a Gen4 in every model glock makes :-)

MrWray 03-15-2012 05:44 PM

Is the slide rubbing on your thumb as its coming back? If so you need to drop your thumb down a tad to keep it from rubbing. If its close enough to rub then it wont take much for the slide to catch your thumb and that wont feel good. Ive seen people do it many times, a few people had to require stitches afterwards.

Big_Cat 03-16-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray
Is the slide rubbing on your thumb as its coming back? If so you need to drop your thumb down a tad to keep it from rubbing. If its close enough to rub then it wont take much for the slide to catch your thumb and that wont feel good. Ive seen people do it many times, a few people had to require stitches afterwards.

I haven't noticed that much @ all. Its rubbing against the frame from what I can tell. I was worried about the slide catching my skin but it's so smooth that it doesn't bother me @ all. I'll be back @ the range in the morning to shoot it along with my buddies rifles & shotguns. I can't wait!

Big_Cat 03-16-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimion423
I used to always carry a glock 26, or the 27. I never had this problem with them but when I got the 22gen4 I noticed the same thing after about 300 rounds. I also experimented with the back straps and found it best for me to not use any. But overall I think it's my favorite glock I own. I plan on getting a Gen4 in every model glock makes :-)

I did take it off & put on the Hogue grip, so I'll see how that feels tomorrow morning. Thanks :)