Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock 21 vs 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 21 vs 1911

I'm sure this has come up before however, I'm new to FTF so please humour me. I'm looking to add another gun to my collection at our annual gun show. I want a full size .45 and thought I would gather a few opinions on what to get. I was told to stick with a glock due to the fact that is the dominate pistol I carry. But it can't fight the urge to own a 1911 as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

This thread will only end up in a fight. 1911 peopel will say that their choice is better. Glock fanboys will tout how you can toss it into a volcano and it will still fire. I personally don't like a Glock for several reasons. The fit is not right they don't seem to point naturally and are but ugly. I've actually had more problems wit ha Glock 19 stovepiping than I have from any two 1911's combined. But that's just me. I see theme as the ugly girl in a bar. Sure she'll get the job done but you don't want your friends to see you with her.

A Glock is a fine weapon for those that use them well and believe they fit. They do work. If you see a handgun a simply a tool them they will fit your needs very well. If you tend to see a handgun as something more than a tool, maybe as an art in form and function then another direction might be the way to go. I've owned both and made my choices. A Glock does bot fit my needs. I don't like any striker fired weapons though. I do really like the FNP/FNX pistols though. So it's not a poly frame hatred.

Pick up a couple of each and see how it feels to you. Only then will you know what is best for you. I will advise though if you do choose to get a 1911 then don't try to get the cheapest you can find. You don't have to spend a grand to get a good pistol. But you will want to get one that has a proven track record. But I say with anything you want that might be expected to save your life that's the wrong time to want to go as cheap as you can. The Mil Spec Springers are really good entry level 1911's. I hear great things about the Para GI Expert. I own a couple higher end Para's and love them.

Good luck in your hunt. And remember..No matter what you do you will have a new gun. and that in it;self is pretty neat

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLegX
I'm sure this has come up before however, I'm new to FTF so please humour me. I'm looking to add another gun to my collection at our annual gun show. I want a full size .45 and thought I would gather a few opinions on what to get. I was told to stick with a glock due to the fact that is the dominate pistol I carry. But it can't fight the urge to own a 1911 as well.
I own a glock and a 1911. I absolutely love my glock w/a passion. Its been so reliable after 3000 rounds and such a great gun. With that being said....I love my Sig 1911. Only 700 rounds so far, no problems. Tough call but man...everyone has got to own a 1911. But heed this warning: once you buy a 1911 start saving for another one.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im not gonna debate anything or stir the pot,i own a G31 and a 1911A1..i love them both

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, those horse a few trips around the track on it and it always ends up in a feud....LOL

The 1911 platform is an acquired taste. Once most folks gravitate to it, they tend to stick with it and make it their primary piece. Then the damn thing starts recruiting and you end up with a few more that you rotate through depending on season and type of application.

There are a lot of points for both sides of this disagreement.

The one key for is this. Gaston Glock never had intentions of selling his pistols to you, the gun buying public. His initial market was Military Only.

That didn't immediately pan out, so he "lowered the bar" to Law Enforcement. That didn't immediately make him wealthy enough, so he decided to sell it to civilians, but you were the "last choice".

That has always stuck in my craw about a gun maker not wanting to sell to civilians.

Same reason I am not a fan of Para-Ord. They spent years in Canada selling handguns but never did anything to make it readily available for Canadian citizens to be able to purchase them (I.E.- lobbyed for gun rights for Canadian Citizens).

Ultimately the decision should be yours and none of us should be making it for you.

Good luck!

JD

Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let me just say this, from a guy who owns both a 1911 and a G21.

I don't have small hands, I would say average size. But I will say that I always replace my 1911 grips with thin panels because they feel better in my hand.

That being said, the G21 grip is WAY too big for me to ever be really comfortable with it. Being a double-stack .45ACP, it feels like a 2x4 in my hand, where a 1911 with some nice thin grips feels like it was made for me.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Where's the freakin anger!?!

Come on, duke it out, All Ye GLOCK and 1911 fanatics!!

I'm a revolver guy myself, I've always been comfortable with them. But I have decided my next purchase is going to be a 1911. Why? In short, I quote g17, "everyone has got to have a 1911."

He called me out earlier today for not already having one!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^^^I can see your lips moving but I can't hear what you are saying. Without a 1911 you don't have a voice.

I agree with Lon as well. I have thin grips on a couple of my 1911's and it makes them a perfect fit to my hands. I guess I have largish size hands, I can span 11 keys on a piano, but I still prefer the thinner grip of the 1911 over a double stack.

JD

Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #9

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^^^^I can see your lips moving but I can't hear what you are saying. Without a 1911 you don't have a voice.

I agree with Lon as well. I have thin grips on a couple of my 1911's and it makes them a perfect fit to my hands. I guess I have largish size hands, I can span 11 keys on a piano, but I still prefer the thinner grip of the 1911 over a double stack.

JD
But I still love them, doesn't that count for something? And I've resolved that I'm not buying another gun unless it's a 1911. Please, Please let me in the club?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

But I still love them, doesn't that count for something? And I've resolved that I'm not buying another gun unless it's a 1911. Please, Please let me in the club?
I guess.....we can.....make an exception trip-only b/c your next supposed "gun purchase" is a 1911. Other than that-+1 JD....I see your lips moving but can't hear you until you get one Hahaha :-!

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy