Glock 21 vs 1911 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock 21 vs 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There is no question 1911..

But its kind of like the sticker says

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Undecided - You have to understand that this is a very PRO 1911 platform type of forum.

We have a lot of experienced shooters (old) and we have a lot of newly enlightened shooters (converts) that live and DO bet their lives on that platform.

Having said that, the 1911 is not an entry level firearm. It takes a special person, a shooter that is a purist at heart and a person that doesn't mind doing some cleaning and maintenance as part of their normal "shoot, carry and live" procedure.

The Glock on the other hand will always go bang. Any idiot can field strip it, if they have too, and just about anyone can point the thing, pull the trigger and put rounds down range.

A 1911 Master Armorer is probably going to be someone who has been working on the platform, building it, tweaking it, maintaining it and modifying it for 15 or more years.

There are no Master Armorers in Glocks ranks because the pistol is very, very easy to understand.

For a first gun, for a gun that will defend a family member that doesn't know a hell of a lot about firearms, or for someone who admits they don't change their own oil, they don't wash their lawnmower before putting it in the shed, and hires a contractor for mild home improvements?

I will ALWAYS recommend the Glock. IF it fits their hands, they are comfortable with it and they can put rounds on target with it.

It's a simple platform, it's a reliable platform and it will ALWAYS go bang, no matter what torture you put it through.

Now, if you want a weapon that is going to take a little love, care and maintenance, but is going to shoot straight and will ALWAYS put rounds where you aim it, the 1911 is the way to go.

The choice is ultimately yours, but I encourage you to REALLY do your research and shoot them both a couple of times before you slap down your hard earned cash.

JD

Last edited by canebrake; 05-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #13

I own both and Love both but for my edc and bug I choose the Glock platform because they feel just a tad bit more comfortable in my hands. Nobody can convince you on any platform. You will have to figure out which platform feels the best to you and shoots the best for you. As much as I Love the 1911 I can't seem to ever shoot it as well as I do my Glocks. So I carry my Glocks and save the 1911's for fun at the range. I am sure their are others that are just the opposite of me. So find what feels and performs best for you.
Scott

Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #14

Save your money buy a Glock!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Dillinger - two more posts of top notch advice!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #16

I like a 1911 more at the range but I would rather have a glock in a fire fight and I'm a very experienced shooter. the extra rounds, light weight polymer frame, the action and the overall reliability are the reason they're the most common sidearm used in law enforcement in this country these days.

Last edited by shooter57; 05-07-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:51 AM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
I like a 1911 more at the range but I would rather have a glock in a fire fight and I'm a very experienced shooter. the extra rounds, light weight polymer frame, the action and the overall reliability are the reason they're the most common sidearm used in law enforcement in this country these days.
Ummm, not true at all. The reason they are the most common sidearm used is the pricing Glock offers to municipalities, counties and states. If Springfield offered the same pricing, then the XD or XDM would be. If S&W offered the same, then the M&P would be. If H&K offered the same pricing then the USP would be. If SigSauer offered the same pricing, then the P226 or what ever would be. The choice is made by the bean counters, not the end user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Ummm, not true at all. The reason they are the most common sidearm used is the pricing Glock offers to municipalities, counties and states. If Springfield offered the same pricing, then the XD or XDM would be. If S&W offered the same, then the M&P would be. If H&K offered the same pricing then the USP would be. If SigSauer offered the same pricing, then the P226 or what ever would be. The choice is made by the bean counters, not the end user.
You got that right and just cause the bean counters pick it doesn't mean it is the best thing for the department or the individual. Been there done that you might say...

Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I was referring the type of sidearm not so much the brand. personally I like the XD more than any Glock.

Last edited by shooter57; 05-07-2011 at 05:13 AM.