Glock 17 s&w 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock 17 s&w 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 17 s&w 9

Have narrowed down my search to these two guns. The primary use will be target shooting. I will never conceal carry, just not for me. ( not a judgement, do what you need to, it's just not for ME ). I have handled both of these, but have yet to shoot either. I will before making a final decision. 2 questions- 1) which would you choose and why 2) what have people been recently paying for these? ( please remember to say if it was new or used, what gen glock, and where you purchased from. A price on the coast may differ from here in ia. ) thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

Can't speak to the S&W, but my first semi auto was the G17. I just love it. Got it new at a gun show in Dallas for $475. 9mm is fantastic and affordable for range shooting. I have now put a Ghost Rocket on it, and I love it even more.

Rent both at a range and shoot them before you buy though. Try an XD or XDM in 9mm too. Everybody is different and trying before you buy is money well spent, IMO.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

I recently purchased my first pistol and went with a used Smith & Wesson model 59. It is the first of the wonder nines ( high-cap 15 rounds) it's very similar to the 1911 design. Has aluminum frame and nickel plated slide. I can't speak on how glocks shoot because I have never had the chance to shoot one, but the smith is very safe, thumb safety/decocker, mag safety, which can be good or bad I suppose. But it's 37 years old and shoots great. I paid 450 for it with just minor scratches. Kinda want to try out an m&p sometime now. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharyder369
I recently purchased my first pistol and went with a used Smith & Wesson model 59. It is the first of the wonder nines ( high-cap 15 rounds) it's very similar to the 1911 design. Has aluminum frame and nickel plated slide. I can't speak on how glocks shoot because I have never had the chance to shoot one, but the smith is very safe, thumb safety/decocker, mag safety, which can be good or bad I suppose. But it's 37 years old and shoots great. I paid 450 for it with just minor scratches. Kinda want to try out an m&p sometime now. Good luck with your search.
Have you fire that 59 yet? If so, how do you like it?

I was searching for a 5906. But at the last gun show I was at, I found a 3913. Pretty similar to the 59 except it is a lighter,slimmer,single stack 8 round. Shoots excellent, very accurate. So far no issues after 200 rounds through it.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally just bought my gen 4 17 for plate and target shooting and I love it. I joined GSSF (glock shooting sports foundation) for two years and was able to buy it new with 3 mags for law enforcement pricing of $425 in Ohio. I have shot the S&W M&P 9 with the competition trigger and liked it. I went with glock because it fits better in my hand.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

Have you fire that 59 yet? If so, how do you like it?

I was searching for a 5906. But at the last gun show I was at, I found a 3913. Pretty similar to the 59 except it is a lighter,slimmer,single stack 8 round. Shoots excellent, very accurate. So far no issues after 200 rounds through it.
Yea I've put about 400-500 rounds through it so far, I love it and I would hope to give it to my children someday.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will still continue to look for one. In my neck of the woods, they sell for around $350-400. I paid $350 for the 3913. It was a LEO trade in. Light scuffs from holster wear on the slide stop... other then that, beautiful weapon. I will he customizing it soon anyway.. duracoat should be here any day now.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Last edited by UrbanNinja; 02-25-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #8

Yea I wish I could customize my 59 but all they make that I have found is grips, mags and recoil springs, no sights, triggers or aftermarket hammers.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #9

The wife and I got into shooting last year. Before buying anything we went to three ranges and shot multiple handguns. Glocks, FNH, M&P , Ruger, XD, etc. On paper I was sure we would end up liking the XD. Turns out, both of us liked the Glock the best...until we shot an M&P. It just felt...natural. We've since bought two M&P -- a full size 9 and a compact 9. Added some APEX pieces to the compact and we both shoot it better then most full size. :-)

I would recommend taking a good look at the full size M&P. Good online prices will be about $450 chambered in 9mm.

My point though is you should consider spending a little time and a few dollars up front to go out and shoot them at a rental range. What is a great feeling handgun for one person may not be for the next.

My $.02

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #10

I have narrowed my decision to the same 2. I have shot the SW and loved it. Going to be shooting the 17 today if no one at the range has rented them out yet.