Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Girlfriends first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
You must like her a LOT. The Sig P226 is one fine handgun. I guess it would be smart to look around and see what she likes and is comfortable with. Her shooting experience will have to be considered of course. Good luck.
She has minimum shooting experience, but I wanted to go with because accuracy, reliability, dependability, and ease to use. I have 229 40, 229 357, and 2 220.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Not knowing her experience level with firearms, I would suggest that you have an experienced friend give her a few lessons.
I recommend a friend as I've seen boyfriends and husbands normally do not make the best teachers to a mate.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Have her check out a bunch of handguns at a gun shop. Guide her through the various models and features and calibers. Then take her shooting so she can get a feel for various calibers. Explain weight and size versus recoil etc. Then back to the gun shop and have her choose.

Whether you will shoot it or not, she has to be comfortable enough with it so that she'll practice with it so she can defend herself. Temporarily put your ego on the shelf and guide her through the process. Her life may depend on it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most girls I know enjoy shooting autos more than revolvers.

Most girls I know have a lot of trouble keeping the gun steady shooting a DA trigger. My GF put one round through my Walther P22 with a DA pull and said "yup, I definitely wouldn't want something like that!"

The only thing she doesn't like about my G17L is the still-large grip, though she still put three mags through it in quick succession and didn't do half-bad .

But yeah, I am in favor of M&P / Glock / XD-type pistols for simple defensive weapons, rather than revolvers. Easier triggers, higher capacities, and most girls I know enjoy operating those types of weapons better than revolvers.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Whether you will shoot it or not, she has to be comfortable enough with it so that she'll practice with it so she can defend herself. Temporarily put your ego on the shelf and guide her through the process. Her life may depend on it.
On the same note, EXACTLY! There is a huge difference between being able to handle / shoot a firearm, and enjoying it enough to actually practice it. My GF can put a .308 into a kill zone at 200 yards easily... a few times. Then she starts flinching because of the relative "intensity" of it, and has kindof stopped requesting to shoot it :P . An ex could shoot a 12g, a few times, but was so focused on the recoil that she could barely hit anything. On the other hand, there were several times when she'd put 150 shells through her .410 in one outing. Guess which one I felt comfortable leaving her home with? I'd rather her shoot 4 pellets per shot accurately, than miss with 9.

So yeah, if it comes down to it, be ready to buy her a .22 if that's all she will enjoy enough to actually ask you to take her shooting again. Six months down the road, she'll be way better off with a Buckmark through which she's put 5000 rounds, than with even a 9mm that she's shot a few mags through over the same time frame. Not to mention those skills can then transfer to a more capable defensive firearm.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #16

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything over $150 as a gift for a girlfriend. That's just me. The first thing I'd buy a woman that costs more than that would be a ring.

Now, I don't know how your relationship is, and it just doesn't matter to my personal experience. I've never had a girl that didn't just pick up and leave some day, at least not until I met the one I ended up buying that aforementioned ring for. She's still sticking around for some unknown reason. I guess she just kind of got used to me.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like a lot of the others have said, take her to some gunshops to help her pick out what feels the best to her and fits the bill. If possible take her to a local range and let her shoot some or rent a few firearms if they have a rental program.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Have her check out a bunch of handguns at a gun shop. Guide her through the various models and features and calibers. Then take her shooting so she can get a feel for various calibers. Explain weight and size versus recoil etc. Then back to the gun shop and have her choose.

Good advice in my opinion, speaking as a woman. A gun that feels perfect for some guys feels too big and uncomfortable to me (I have small hands.) And of course, recoil may be an issue for her, too. If the main goal is for her self defense, I would say make sure she feels comfortable practicing with it. Although you could keep the Sig for yourself if she doesn't like it and buy her something else

Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The first time I took my wife shooting she fell in love with my Sig P220 and my P228 in 9mm. She stands about 5' 1" and has small hands, which surprised me because the grips on a Sig are rather beefy. Now she has to qualify with a Glock 19 and can not stand the way it feels. Everyone is different, I have to agree with everyone here about letting someone else teach her, if you start getting fustrated it is going to carry over when you get home.

Purchasing a .22 pistol would also be a good idea if she has little to no experience with firearms.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #20

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Does she have experience with a hand gun? If not, a Glock, XD(m), or M&P might be the best choice. I'd keep grip size as a major consideration with a female.
I agree and I like the idea of a .22 for a girl's first gun (not for SD of course). You may want another SIG but let her try out a lot of guns at the LGS and hopefully rent some to shoot. I've done that with my wife and hoped she'd move to something like a Glock 19 from her S&W M66 revolver but she just loves what she has.

Let her choose unless she's interested in something you know is a mistake.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Newest Threads