Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Girlfriends first (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/girlfriends-first-51825/)

AznZOhAn 11-15-2011 06:41 AM

Girlfriends first

I am thinking about getting my girlfriend her first gun, and I am thinking about getting her a Sig P226 9 mm. I own 4 Sigs but none is a 9 mm or a P226, I would like some opinions.

cswann1 11-15-2011 06:51 AM

There will invariable be plenty of replies saying...take her shopping and let her pick what she feels comfortable with. This isn't one of those.

I can't think of a better choice. If she ends up not liking it, you can keep it for yourself:D

danf_fl 11-15-2011 08:40 AM

Sounds like you haven't learned an important lesson yet.

Remember that nice lingerie you bought her? Cost about $100? But her favorite bed clothes are flannel.

Are you buying the firearm for her? Or for you?

Sonic82 11-15-2011 02:38 PM

Does she have experience with a hand gun? If not, a Glock, XD(m), or M&P might be the best choice. I'd keep grip size as a major consideration with a female.

BlueTurf 11-15-2011 02:49 PM

You must like her a LOT. The Sig P226 is one fine handgun. I guess it would be smart to look around and see what she likes and is comfortable with. Her shooting experience will have to be considered of course. Good luck.

Jeepergeo 11-15-2011 03:03 PM

For fun shooting or personal protection? If the latter, you might want to consider something simple like a revolver: 357 rounds for personal protection and 38 special for shooting at the range. There are a lot of good choices in that category: Smith & Wesson and Ruger both have nice selections.

BlueTurf 11-15-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepergeo (Post 628271)
For fun shooting or personal protection? If the latter, you might want to consider something simple like a revolver: 357 rounds for personal protection and 38 special for shooting at the range. There are a lot of good choices in that category: Smith & Wesson and Ruger both have nice selections.

+1 on that. I also think this would be a good plan. The .357 would be great for SD and the .38 would work real good for range ammo. The revolver would be simpler to become familiar with.

AznZOhAn 11-15-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1
There will invariable be plenty of replies saying...take her shopping and let her pick what she feels comfortable with. This isn't one of those.

I can't think of a better choice. If she ends up not liking it, you can keep it for yourself:D

That's why I was choosing the Sig P226, lol.

AznZOhAn 11-15-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl

Remember that nice lingerie you bought her? Cost about $100? But her favorite bed clothes are flannel.

It's for her, but she is not a big fan of guns. I'm getting it for her, cause she said she wanted one for home protection while I am at work.

AznZOhAn 11-15-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl

But I am kind of buying it for me too, for cheaper range days.