girlfriend looking for a gun need suggestions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > girlfriend looking for a gun need suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default girlfriend looking for a gun need suggestions

My girlfriend is looking for a handgun. Semi auto, 9mm, target shooting and home defense, full size or compact, under $550 new, purple or pink or badass looking. She says she enjoyed shooting my M&P and her uncles ruger.

I don't want to sway her opinion and have her get what I want. I want to be able to give her suggestions based on quality, and performance and let her make the choice. And give her suggestions on some guns that may fit her hands better then others so if any women could add some suggestions it would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I have been married to the same woman since 1995. My advice, take her to a gun store and let her choose. Do not say a damn thing! Do not make any faces or sigh/groan/moan. Trust me. Dude......TRUST ME!!!!! Even if she asks for your opinion...do not give it. "Honey, choose the one you want."
People Like This 
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by endobro View Post
My girlfriend is looking for a handgun. Semi auto, 9mm, target shooting and home defense, full size or compact, under $550 new, purple or pink or badass looking. She says she enjoyed shooting my M&P and her uncles ruger.

I don't want to sway her opinion and have her get what I want. I want to be able to give her suggestions based on quality, and performance and let her make the choice. And give her suggestions on some guns that may fit her hands better then others so if any women could add some suggestions it would be appreciated.
my best suggestion is to take her to different gun stores and let her handle many different ones. my best advice is to keep most of your comments private and answer her questions when she asks for advice or suggestions. try and remain neutral. this is based on what is best for her needs and not yours.

other women are just like other men in regards to pistols. everyone has different hands sizes and what feels right to one person, whether it's a man or a woman, might not be right for another person.

sometimes what women choose to own sometimes will suprise us men.
People Like This 
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #4

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Let her feel them and pick one that feels best in her hand . If she chooses a semi auto make sure she can work the slide easily . If she cant she should be looking at revolvers . Dont moan and groan about the price, looks , caliber, capacity etc, Its not yours its hers and if she decides she wants a 22lr or .380 or .45 acp then let it be . I dont recommemd a .40 or 10mm for a starter but if thats what she likes make sure she shoots it first before you buy one to make sure she can handle the recoil and doesnt limp wrist it and make it jam .
Good luck brother

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #5

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Good info above. I have one suggestion. See if you can find a handgun instructor in your area, perhaps they could show her how revolvers vs pistols work, and might have a few she could shoot. Just step back, let her decide.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks guys. Definitely makes sense. I'm looking forward to heading up to look at some guns with her soon.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yup. Take her shopping.
My wife decided this year she wanted to try USPSA Production division, after shooting
Single Stack for 4 years. Had her tiny hands on just about everything. Ended up with
a M&P Pro 9L, with a purple flake backstrap from Gun Goddess on it. Now she wants
to have the slide cerakoted, but only if they can match the shade of purple on the
backstrap.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Browse through here. http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/ Written by a woman for women.
JonM Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #9

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Women are not so different from men. What male has one gun?

We say, let the women pick out their own gun. How about, pick out their own guns?

We learned what we like by trial and error. The ones we don't much care for, we sell or put at the back of the safe.

Women tend to be more practical, and spend less money on some toys, but it does not have to be that way.

What guy has never walked out of a gun
shop with two or three guns, or that many in a month?

Let the gals enjoy the money, and spend some of it.

Last edited by AR10; 01-05-2014 at 06:04 AM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #10

Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Beg , barrow or rent pistols for her to shoot. so she can decide with you know where around well perhaps be around top load mags. many ranges that rent pistols will let a new be shoot whats available in one caliber to try out if too.