Girlfriend looking for a Carry/practice handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Girlfriend looking for a Carry/practice handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Default Girlfriend looking for a Carry/practice handgun

Hi, my GF is looking for a good carry gun. Every gun store she walks into trys to push a .38 revolver on her and when she tells them she wants a semi-auto, they stand there dumbfounded like a woman can't own anything other than a .38. At this point she has a S&W bodyguard .380 and hates it so much, she refuses to carry it. She says that the recoil is too much in order to actually enjoy, so that pretty much rules out a pocket piece. Anyway, she wants something chambered in 9mm, with a mid sized frame, easy to carry and has a manual safety. If anybody has any suggestions on something practical, she would love to hear it. Thanks guys.

Also, single/double action, she hates DAO, I don't much blame her.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I get asked questions like this all of the time. Sorry to hear that the dealer you went to gave her so hard a time. That is something I never like to hear.

First, she has to decide how much she wants to spend and what size auto she feels comfortable getting. Everybody has a "comfort zone" and this is very important.

If she wants something in the 3" to 4" range and is budget conscious, she might want to consider the SCCY CPX series. These are DAO, but designed to be more confortable to shoot in this configuration. These are in the Generation 2 line and are very underrated guns. MSRP on the blued is only $299 and well worth the price. Stainless is only $40 more. I've shot the guns and like them. If you can't find anyone local that sells them, I have a factory direct tie and can get them for you.

If she is looking for smaller, though costlier, Beretta has come out with the Nano and it has gotten great reviews in some of the mags.

Back to larger, she cannot go wrong with the Springfield XD series in 9mm. I know of nobody that owns an XD that dislikes them.

What really sucks is that if she tries to trade in the Bodyguard, she'll lose a significant chunk of $$. My advice is to try to sell it outright if she doesn't want to keep it after she finds her 9mm.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 01-23-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Based on the criteria listed I would look for a Ruger SR9c. Great CCW, recoil is light and they shoot great. Also for more money, alot Sigs also have the features she wants. The Ruger is a great gun for around $400. I think the Sig SP2022 also has those features and can be had fairly inexpensive depending on where you buy, but I prefer the alloy framed Sigs which normally run 800 to 1000. If you have the luxury of renting guns, do it. I have bought guns, based solely on feel and once I shot them was less than enamored.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Hi, my GF is looking for a good carry gun. Every gun store she walks into trys to push a .38 revolver on her and when she tells them she wants a semi-auto, they stand there dumbfounded like a woman can't own anything other than a .38. At this point she has a S&W bodyguard .380 and hates it so much, she refuses to carry it. She says that the recoil is too much in order to actually enjoy, so that pretty much rules out a pocket piece. Anyway, she wants something chambered in 9mm, with a mid sized frame, easy to carry and has a manual safety. If anybody has any suggestions on something practical, she would love to hear it. Thanks guys.

Also, single/double action, she hates DAO, I don't much blame her.
The Sig P238 is a pocket piece 380 that is very comfortable to shoot. Mini 1911 carry cocked and locked. I have one and the female instructor at the local indoor range carries one. I tried hers and bought one. I hated my P3AT. None of the other micro 380 pistols were comfortable to shoot.
If she wants a slim 9mm, the one I would buy is the Kahr. It has a very smooth trigger. I had a PF9 Keltec and did not like it. Did not like the others I tried as well as the Kahr.
My wife and I have matching SR9c Rugers. Striker but try it before you dismiss it. Has a better trigger than the Glocks, smaller grip and thumb safety in addition to the trigger safety. About 28 oz loaded with 11 rnds.
The Bersa 380 is about the size of a slim 9 but is 380, DA/SA and is very comfortable to shoot. Based on the PPK and has a very good rep and price.
Look at the Sig P232. It is a larger 380 that is very nice. DA/SA. Take a good look at all the Sig pistols.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If recoil is the issue, don't rule out .380. A 9mm is going to have more recoil if it's in a similar-sized package.

JTJ beat me to the punch about the Sig P238. For a small pistol, it shoots very smoothly. The Walther P380 is pretty smooth also.

Look at the XD line. The grip safety should qualify as a "manual safety," which you mentioned she wants.

I doubt you have enough time for this to develop, but Springfield just introduced the XDS, a very compact single-stack version of the XD. One of the many bloggers at the SHOT show last week said a Springfield rep told him the 9mm version (it's initially only available in .45) would be available this summer.

There have been a lot of other fine guns mentioned. It looks like you two have some shopping (and range renting) to do.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I bought my wife to be a S&W Bodygard, because she picked it out. We wnt and shot it, and she hated it. She handed me the Bodygard and took my Sig P238. Now she only carries the Sig.
For everything that you listed, that she want's, the Sig P238 would be my first recomendation.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #7

I'd also recommend the SR9c from Ruger but you can also find a Smith & Wesson M&P9c or full-size 9 with a thumb safety. With the back-straps the M&P autos have it can really be customized for just about any size hands out there.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I currently shoot a Walther PK 380. But, I've been looking around for a 9mm also. I really want the Ruger SR9c. I'm a woman with a smaller hand, and it fits perfect. At the Las Vegas gun show this weekend, they were running $420.00. The local GS where I live is selling them for $495.00. That gun is definitely on my wish list!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #9

My father-in-law is a huge advocate of the SR9/SR9c and in a bit less than a year has ran about 1500 plus rounds through his SR9c in practice and in IDPA. No malfunctions of any sort; the only think I've ever heard of causing problems is that Ruger does send out their guns over lubricated so a good cleaning, especially in the striker channel, is in order before the visit to the range.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Best advice is to take her to the range and shhot as many models and calibers as you can. She will find the one that fits her.