Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Getting my girl a gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/getting-my-girl-gun-76909/)

Matthew161 11-23-2012 02:20 AM

Getting my girl a gun

I was thinking of getting my girl a gun for Xmas and her bday I was looking at a .380 or. 22lr what do u guys think

jjfuller1 11-23-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew161 (Post 1024057)
I was thinking of getting my girl a gun for Xmas and her bday I was looking at a .380 or. 22lr what do u guys think

NO. dont do it. if theres no ring, its an aweful expensive and personal item. second if you dont care if she eventually dumps you and keeps the gun fine.. but you must take her with you. let her pick it out. and then simply pay for it.. unless she drops hints of what she thinks she likes. if she has no clue, try to take her to a range where there are rentals. or shoot with some friends so she can get a grasp of calibers, styles, that she can shoot, and likes.

Axxe55 11-23-2012 02:30 AM

JJ's advice is pretty sound and i agree. the only women i would ever buy a gun for is my wife and only if i knew exactly what she wanted. exactly what she wanted! a handgun is a very personal thing and what you think someone else may like or want, could be further from the truth than you might think.

towboater 11-23-2012 02:52 AM

Hard to go wrong with a Ruger 22/45.

Cinderocka1989 11-23-2012 03:16 AM

I agree with jj, take her to a range that rents them, let her shoot a few and figure out what she likes. My first gun was given to me, as much as I love it, were I going to pick a gun for myself it wouldn't have been that one, it's too big and bulky for my little hands.

trip286 11-23-2012 04:12 AM

To follow the above, but in a slightly different way, would you choose the scent of her tampons or pads too? No. Like they said, you can pay for it, if you don't mind her keeping it if you split (this is a gift, never expect to get a gift back), but don't pick it out unless you know what she wants. And I mean, has been in the store, had her hands on one, and said, "baby, I want THIS one".

Yes, it's a very deeply personal thing. Other people have equated it another way, shoes. You wouldn't buy shoes for someone (at least you shouldn't), and a gun is just as personal in it's fit to each person.

Gift certificates or a shopping trip on your dime, but it's not your choice.

Matthew161 11-23-2012 12:05 PM

R is one ring of her finger just waiting for the wedding

mountainman13 11-23-2012 12:24 PM

Why buy her a gun? Frying pans hurt bad enough. Who wants to get shot for forgetting to take out the trash. Lol

danf_fl 11-23-2012 12:56 PM

Get a gift certificate to give her.

For you to buy her a gun is like buying her lingerie.
It may not be what she will want wear every night (and she won't), but what you want her to wear every night.

That maid's outfit still hasn't come out of my wife's closet and she does not carry the gun I bought her.

levelcross 11-23-2012 02:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Unless this gun is really for you ;) then let her pick it out, rent it before you buy, make damn sure it is the one she can't live without...then pay up. It took well over a year to buy the wife a gun that she liked and will carry, took an hour to buy her one that stayed in the night stand for over a year, now it is mine.:D

Hers that she picked out after renting 20 or so guns.

Mine after she picked out what she thought she wanted.