Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Getting the 6th round into Kel Tec P3AT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 6

Default Getting the 6th round into Kel Tec P3AT?

Hey all,

I just bought a Kel Tec P3AT for CCW. Just got back from shooting it. For the life of me, I can not get the 6th round into the mag. I am an avid shooter and usually can get the last round into anything. However, this mag was being a bastard. I even called the rnage master over, he tried and couldn't do it. I'm a big muscular dude and I pushed down with all my might and couldn't get it to even drop a little after the 5th. There is a hole that shoes it is a 6 round mag. Is there a trick? Could I have a defective mag? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysully View Post
Hey all,

I just bought a Kel Tec P3AT for CCW. Just got back from shooting it. For the life of me, I can not get the 6th round into the mag. I am an avid shooter and usually can get the last round into anything. However, this mag was being a bastard. I even called the rnage master over, he tried and couldn't do it. I'm a big muscular dude and I pushed down with all my might and couldn't get it to even drop a little after the 5th. There is a hole that shoes it is a 6 round mag. Is there a trick? Could I have a defective mag? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pictures would help.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post
Pictures would help.
Empty mag:

Mag with 5 in, 6th just WON'T GO:

Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've had mags that were too tight to load the last round. Loading them up as far as possible & letting them sit for a while can help. You might disassemble it & check it, just incase there is a obstruction preventing the follower going all the way down.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

Take it apart and see if something is blocking it or if the spring is mis-shapen

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I've had mags that were too tight to load the last round. Loading them up as far as possible & letting them sit for a while can help. You might disassemble it & check it, just incase there is a obstruction preventing the follower going all the way down.
Ok, will try both. I ordered a new mag too. We'll see if she is any better.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post
Take it apart and see if something is blocking it or if the spring is mis-shapen
Man I feel dumb. I should have taken it apart to begin with. Anyways, took it apart. Not sure the term for the top piece where you load the ammo, but a second one was loaded underneath it... lol. I took it out, reassembled and bam 6 go in like a dream! Thanks for the tips everyone!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Man I feel dumb. I should have taken it apart to begin with. Anyways, took it apart. Not sure the term for the top piece where you load the ammo, but a second one was loaded underneath it... lol. I took it out, reassembled and bam 6 go in like a dream! Thanks for the tips everyone!
Follower is the term you are looking for. Anyways, don't feel dumb feel glad that it works now and you have a spare follower.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
LOL, so much for QC at Kel-Tec.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

The follower?

Now I have to check mine. Thanks.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)