G17 XDm9 M&P9: Features/Benefits/Downsides
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > G17 XDm9 M&P9: Features/Benefits/Downsides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default G17 XDm9 M&P9: Features/Benefits/Downsides

Ok, so I’m trying my best not to write a yet another “which gun should I buy” thread.

So, my idea here is to list the Features and Benefits associated with these guns, as well as any perceived Downsides. For the most part, I’d like to keep this as factual as possible, but there’s always going to be room for interpretation, especially on whether something is a Benefit or a Downside.

I am very new to guns, so I’m sure that I’ll leave lots out and get terms incorrect, so any help with this is greatly appreciated. Also, I ultimately plan on shooting all 3 guns and it will likely come down to which one I shoot the best. Or if I shoot them all relatively the same, which one feels the best or somehow speaks to me the most.

Oh, and I’m not adding any features that they all share (like polymer construction, mounting rails, trigger safeties, etc).

Glock G17 4th Gen vs. Springfield Armory XDm 9 vs. Smith & Wesson M&P 9:

Safeties:
G17 – No Thumb or Grip Safeties. Benefit: Nothing to potentially fail or create a false sense of security. Downside: No potential failsafe beyond the brain-trigger finger connection.
XDm9 – Grip Safety. Benefit: Must grip gun to fire. Downside: Potential point of failure.
M&P9 – Optional Thumb Safety. Benefit: Best of both worlds have if you want it, omit it if you don’t. Downside: None.

Barrel Height:
G17 – Low. Benefit: Reduced upward leverage on recoil. Downside: None.
XDm9 – High. Benefit: None. Downside: Increased upward leverage on recoil.
M&P9 – Low. Benefit: Reduced upward leverage on recoil. Downside: None.

Breakdown:
G17 – Requires a Trigger Pull. Benefit: None. Downside: Potential for ND.
XDm9 – No Trigger Pull Needed. Benefit: Omits a potential source for ND. Downside: None.
M&P9 – Sear Deactivation Lever. Benefit: Omits a potential source for ND. Downside: You need a “tool” to fiddle with the Sear Deactivation Lever.

Recoil Spring:
G17 – Dual. Benefit: Reduces recoil. Downside: Fixes something that wasn’t “broke”.
XDm9 – Single. Benefit: Tried and true. Downside: None.
M&P9 – Single. Benefit: Tried and true. Downside: None.

Stock Capacity:
G17 – 17+1
XDm9 – 19+1 More gooder!
M&P9 – 17+1

Country of Origin:
G17 – Made in Austria
XDm9 – Made in the Croatia
M&P9 – Made in the USA

**I'm sure I left out a lot of stuff. I could only find the MSRP for the M&P. I couldn't find the Line of Sight for the XDM9, so I left these out. ***

Last edited by knfxda; 05-26-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Fixed Country of Origin for XDm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #2

I was in the same boat as you about two months ago, I went with a xdm in .40. Almost a thousand rounds later and I am more than happy with my decision. Zero failures with the pistol, even with a box of steel cased tlua ammo, and its more accurate than I am.

The xdm is however not made in the usa, its clearly marked made in Croatia on the grip.

The higher bore axis even with the "snappy" 40 s&w is a non issue with proper grip. Even my girlfriend with her limited pistol knowledge finds it a joy to shoot.

My votes for the xdm.

YouTube - ‪Dani shooting new XDm .40‬‏

Last edited by jeeptrash; 05-26-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well expressed. Some other things to consider, trigger pull, sights, customer service.

The rest will come with hands on use at a range that rents. I'm partial to the M&P more because the pistol is what I expected in a polly frame pistol. Second was it is made by a company that I have purachase many other of this brand that have served me well over the years and contine to do so.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 05-26-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptrash View Post
The xdm is however not made in the usa, its clearly marked made in Croatia on the grip.
Fixed. Surprised by this. I just assumed it was made in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Well expressed. Some other things to consider, trigger pull, sights, customer service.
I assume that these are all subjective and it will be a matter of personal preference once I shoot them all.

My leader in the clubhouse is the XDm. It felt the best in hand and I consider the grip safety a non-issue, as I naturally depressed it and didn't even notice it. I was expecting it to have some resistance.

The next best feeling gun is the M&P and the Glock rounds things out.

I've only shot a 3rd gen G17. I feel like the M&P will shoot identically to the G17 based on how it feels in hand and the fact that it just looks like a Glock clone to me. The higher barrel of the XDm makes me feel like it might shoot differently or I might deal with the recoil differently. I won't know until I get to shoot it along side the others.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
Fixed. I assume that these are all subjective and it will be a matter of personal preference once I shoot them all.

My leader in the clubhouse is the XDm. It felt the best in hand and I consider the grip safety a non-issue, as I naturally depressed it and didn't even notice it. I was expecting it to have some resistance.

The next best feeling gun is the M&P and the Glock rounds things out.

I've only shot a 3rd gen G17. I feel like the M&P will shoot identically to the G17 based on how it feels in hand and the fact that it just looks like a Glock clone to me. The higher barrel of the XDm makes me feel like it might shoot differently or I might deal with the recoil differently. I won't know until I get to shoot it along side the others.
Not subjective at all, trigger pull and sights are measured easily and documented. Customer service is rated in almost every product you buy.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Nice comparison, knfxda. I wish more new people put in a tenth the time you have in research. Looks like you're ready for trigger time now to choose your weapon. All are good candidates so let your hands on testing decide for you.

I assume you put the same research in choosing 9mm over 40S&W and 45ACP. Again, a good choice for many but it might be wise to try your overall 9mm winner in a larger caliber just to be sure.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Not subjective at all, trigger pull and sights are measured easily and documented.
--OK. So I found some more details (below).

Customer service is rated in almost every product you buy.
--Not sure how or where I can subjectively get this information. If there are known issues with one mfr. vs. another, I am unaware of them.

Line of Site:
G17 – 6.49” Benefit: Longer Length should produced increased accuracy.
XD(m) - ??? Does anyone know this?
M&P – 6.4”

Sights:
G17 – "U - Dot?" (Polymer)
XD(m) – 3-Dot (Steel)
M&P – 3-Dot (Steel)

Trigger Pull:
G17 – 5.5 lbs.
XD(m) – 5.5 - 7.7lbs. Can anyone tell me why this is a range?
M&P – 6.5 lbs.

Barrel Length:
G17 – 4.49”
XD(m) - 4.5” Benefit: Increased muzzle velocity.
M&P – 4.25”

Weight:
G-17 – 22 oz. No Mag. Benefit: Lighter weight is easier to carry.
XD(m) - 32 oz. w/Mag. Benefit: Heavier weight should mean less kick.
M&P – 24 oz. No Mag.

Oh, and does anyone know the MSRPs for these pistols? I only know the M&P: $569

Last edited by knfxda; 05-27-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

I have the same difficulty when it comes to choosing a firearm. To my wife's dismay I usually end up with all of them eventually. Like the time that I couldn't decide between the M&P 9mm and .40. I purchased the 9mm new and then a month later I found a used .40 for $350. It was calling my name like a lost dog it just followed me home.