Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Full sized vs. Compact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Full sized vs. Compact

I own a Walther in 22 but that's about the sum of my knowledge concerning compacts. Let's just assume 9mm so we don't involve caliber. I know they're a bit less accurate but to what degree?

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5113 Times on 2660 Posts
Likes Given: 310

they arent less accurate they are less capable of hitting a target further away in the hand of the same shooter. solely because of the shorter sight radius. shorter barrel doesnt mean less accurate in the gun itself.

for self defense purposes a compact gun is desirable and does not hinder the shooter in typical 3-5 yard or closer self defense ranges.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Alright, maximum effective range is less. But you get what I'm saying. What's the cost/benefit of a compact?

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
Alright, maximum effective range is less. But you get what I'm saying. What's the cost/benefit of a compact?
Well, that depends on what carrying a pistol that's a little bit lighter and a little bit smaller is worth to you. To me, if your carrying OWB, you might as well go full size. If you're going IWB, a compact may be a little easier to carry all day, everyday. Me? I leave my G19 'compact' at home, but then I live in the middle of the forest, not Dodge.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5113 Times on 2660 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i carry a springfield xdm 45acp compact. i carry it owb in the holster it came with. the shorter barrel/slide keeps it from sticking out from under my shirt. i can only tell a real diff in accuracy is at the 25 yard line. the compact is about 1.5-2 inches larger in shot grouping than with my full size xdm

i do prefer a full size for most shooting. for sd carry i prefer compacts or smaller.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #6

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

The cost benefit of a compact is simple. If I am running around on my day off or after work I carry a full size. If I am working I am not allowed to carry. So when I am out and about leaving work it is easy to drop a subcompact in my front pocket. To me it is having a gun vs not having a gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

There seem to be a fine line between full size and compact. For example:

My Sigma 9mm is full size and the barrel is 4".

My Sig P250c 40sw is compact and the barrel is 3.9".

That's kinda cutting it close.

Last edited by JigSawer40; 04-04-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #8

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Also the larger guns are more pleasant for most people to shoot. Some compact guns can be painful to shoot after just a dozen or so shots(varies greatly between guns and shooters).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd imagine compacts cycle faster due to the lighter slide, but at the same time you'd think felt recoil would be increased. So where do follow up shots come in? If you've read anything I've posted, you know I only like a gun that's capable of turning a target into a pin cushion, and would only consider a compact with comparable capacity.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

One shouldn't confuse 'Compact' with 'Sub-compact' which is often a bigger difference then between 'Full Size' and 'Compact'.