Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FPS important or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default FPS important or not

So is the feet per second a deal breaker or not. Take a 9mm moving at about 1160 fps and compare it to a 45 moving at around 870... Is the difference enough to be concerned about. I mean either way you cant dodge a bullet... Well unless your neo from the matrix i guess

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The biggest thing is being able to hit with either.

If you miss, it doesn't matter how fast the bullet was.

FPS is tied directly to physics. The greater the mass, the more it takes to get to a specific speed.

Penetration, wound channel, overpenetration are concerns.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #3

I ask because i am thinking of going from 9mm and 40 to 45.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Try to shoot a 4X4 next time at the range.
I have both 9mm and .45. I like the .45 cuz the competitions I used to play in considered the .45 Major factor, and the 9mm Minor factor when scoring.

(I thought they had some reason for that.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #5

So which round goes through the wood

Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

If speed was all that matters, I would be hunting Blue Whales with a .220 Swift. Hey- it's over 4,000 FPS!

The formula is speed squared times mass of the bullet- but also must account for ability of the bullet to penetrate, and a wound channel big enough to let your opponent leak to unconscious quickly. The .45 and .40 do that better than the 9mm Parabellum.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5126 Times on 2669 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Only two handgun rounds i know of that speed starts to trump weight is the 7.62x25 tokarev and the fn5.7

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default What do you desire?

Yes, projectile velocity IS important, but it is only one important factor. c3shooter makes a very valid point; it is not the single factor to consider and probably not the single most important.

Since we are talking about handguns in this section, one presumes you are seeking a handgun for either hunting or self-defense purposes.

The two matters are different, but they are related in terms of what defines 'useful energy'. The 'useful energy' deriving from handgun rounds is a combination of the projectile speed, projectile weight, the shape of the projectile and the nature of the target.

I am one of the old old school types who favor momentum over kinetic energy as a measure of useful energy. I also prefer rather flat nosed bullets.

For the immediate discussion, you should be relieved to know the 'useful energy' levels of both .40 S&W and .45 ACP handgun rounds are at least as viable for self defense as the level of the 9x19 NATO round. There are those of us who consider the 9x19 NATO round the weak sister of the three. However, for self defense or hunting, bullet placement is paramount. A good hit with a somewhat smaller round is better than a sloppy hit or miss with a larger round. (Of course, no one seriously suggests hunting elephant with a .22 long rifle simply because one can 'hit with it'.) I prefer a good hit with a larger round, myself.

If you are seeking a long range target pistol, velocity usually equates to less bullet drop at a given range. But when a bullet 'drops' at extended range, it always does so at a uniform rate.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

canebrake Likes This 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5085 Times on 2892 Posts
Likes Given: 4247

In the real world, if there is any real difference in fight stopping ability between the 9MM, .357 SIG, .40and .45 it is too small to measure.

It's interesting to discuss whether a .40 will stop a fight quickly 87 percent of the time, and a .45 only 85 percent, but does that 2 percent really matter on the street?

An assailant hit with a .22LR is damaged more than an assailant missed with a .44 magnum.

Marksmanship trumps caliber every time.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
If speed was all that matters, I would be hunting Blue Whales with a .220 Swift. Hey- it's over 4,000 FPS!

The formula is speed squared times mass of the bullet- but also must account for ability of the bullet to penetrate, and a wound channel big enough to let your opponent leak to unconscious quickly. The .45 and .40 do that better than the 9mm Parabellum.
Very informative