FNX Tactical and Trijicon RMR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FNX Tactical and Trijicon RMR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default FNX Tactical and Trijicon RMR

thanks to another member here posting about getting one it triggered me to finally get off my but hit the local gunshow with a couple of firearms i dont shoot anymore and sell em.

with the money i purchased a black FNX 45 Tactical and ordered a trijicon RMR in green triangle to go with.

i dont have pics of the rmr yet as its still in shipment.

the fnxT comes with LOTS of extras and is pretty much a no brainer if your going to mount an optic. having a slide cut isnt terribly cheap nor are the mounts or having tall sights added and HOPE the person does a good job.

the fnxt takes care of that at the factory and comes with 2 mounts that will fit the majority of dot sights out there although its designed with the trijicons in mind.

this pic shows the mag catch on the magazine and the mounts and torx wrenches needed to install.

ive read a lot of whining about the small catch. its pretty solid on there and isnt just punched in from the other side so dropping the mag is unlikely to impossible to damage it as its a solid piece welded to the mag body.

next to it are the torx wrenches and mounting plates for the rmr

the gun comes with 4 backstraps two each of stipple and lined types small and large each. ive got the large lined one installed in mine atm. the small makes it a bit blocky and gives a wierd feel in gloves. the small strap makes it feel JUST like a hi-power. if you like the grip of the hi-power you will love the feel of the fnx with the small strap in place.

grip angle seems the same or close to that of the xdm and 1911.

as seen above one of the interesting things ive not seen commented on is the feed angle of the rounds from the magazine into the chamber. its VERY similar almost IDENTICAL to the relative height and angle of the M9 beretta. this makes for reliable feeding. just slowly hand cycling as in riding the slide carefully forward the fnxt has NO problem picking up rounds and chambering and then ejecting as you continue to cycle the slide.

if a gun is going to have issues its almost always retarding the speed of the slide or riding it forward. this is not an issue with the fnxt.

my impressions of the handgun over all having not fired the newer version but i have fired the fnp before is very good. im not normally a fan of ambi controls as i find they serve no real purpose and get in the way. i tend to go to great lengths to rid firearms of the things. on the FNXT the ambi controls do not get in my way at all which is surprising. they dont stick out and they are rounded or covered by rounded bits.

an issue lots of handguns have is the slide release can get activated when firing. not an issue witht his one. its tucked away until its activated then it sticks out just enough to be swiped off.

one of the things i was a little concerned with until i fondled it a bit was the safety. carrying cocked and locked how easy was it to accidently decock sweeping the safety off?? not terribly easy as it turns out. if your used to thumbing a 1911 safety the fnxt isnt an issue as you have to come out of a real grip to thumb the safety far enough down to decock its not likely to happen at all.

did i mention 15+1 of 45acp...??

anyway just some intitial observations im sure i will up date as i think of more things to say.

once the rmr shows up ill put in pics of that later.

taking it to the range next weekend.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Further observation after fiddling with it a bit.

The magazine when full slides in like it was greased with the slide locked back. It takes some force to lock it in when the slide is closed ala tactical reload. However the rounded bottom of the magazine floor plate is wide enough and beefy enough that seating with the palm means its going in no question whether its locked or not.

Whomever designed the magazines was a genius. I've gone through a lot of handguns and this magazine system is so far the best I've ever used in terms of ergonomics for loading.

Putting rounds in the magazine is about like a xdm 45 until you get to 15. The last round takes some effort to get in.

Total grip size I think is on par with a xdm 45.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Thanks Jon now I need to check one of these out. I have been telling myself you don't need another but, I am going to try and find and fondle one and go from there. Would look nice with a can on the end.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Ronald Reagan

Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the mag springs seem to have loosened a bit over the last day or so loading the last round is pretty damn easy now.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the trijicon rm08g showed up today.

its got some good and bad.

the good no batteries and the reticle is VERY clear just like my acog triangle and my accupoint one. the lack of electronics means its not going to fail unless its totally destroyed.

the bad, there can be instances where the reticle disappears. however when that happens the iron sights are VERY visible and under conditions where the reticle is bright the sights tend to fade out a bit and can be a little harder to see. since most of my shooting has been iron sights and the ones on the fnx45T are VERY good being trijicons im not really feeling a lack of capability.

being as this thing is as tough as the gun itself you can use the sight to rack the slide against any handy object or just use your hand.

zeroing is simply taking the slide off the gun putting it on a flat object and i set the tip of the triangle to match the top of the front sight when the sights are aligned.

if your going to get an rmr beware that the dual illuminated models are NOT for guns with no co-witness irons as you WILL lose the reticle under certain lighting conditions. get the LED version for such applications.

when the sights are aligned the triangle appears. eyebox is not as forgiving as a full size aimpoint and is kinda small like any other reflex pistol sight so you still have to do basic sight alignment to see the reticle.

one of the things i like is the tritium in the rmr is a bit brighter that the front sight vial so in the dark the triangle shows up realy well and is very much more distinct than than the green dot. it also doesnt over power your night vision which is a huge plus over the the LED version.

anyway i THINK m happy with it for now but i need to spend some quality time with it to get the hang of a optic on a serious handgun. ive used my sparc on my ruger mk3 but that was just fooling around. this is a much more serious application.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Last winter indoor cowboy action shoot was tonite. The last stage of these they do a mini wild bunxch with 1911's. Since I don't do wild bunch I used my fnx for that stage. First time shooting it first 15 rounds down the tube.

I am really amazed at how soft it shoots less recoil than a xdm 9mm. I could feel the slide going back and forth reminded me of shooting a desert eagle 357mag in that respect.

I only shot 15 rounds in a timed event so I can't really tell true accuracy but it was pretty apparant this gun is going to be pretty damn accurate.

Load was berry's 230 tmj over 6.5 unique. Book listed fps of 850. No fte or ftf. Mag changes 3 during the stage were stupid easy due to the nice design of the magazine base plates and magwell. I used the slide stop to reload and it was very easy to hit. All shots were single action only.

Target was 10yards last 5 shots was one slightly ragged hole dead center.

Can't wait to spend a little quality range time with it.