FNG has FNP-357sig. questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FNG has FNP-357sig. questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FNG has FNP-357sig. questions

Hello folks , I'm Steve and I'm an FNG here .
I'm trying to get some feed back on getting a new pistol .
I currently own a Chiefs Special 45 ACP . and am considering trading it in for an FNP(H) 357 Sig.
The "Chief" is a nice pistol but I have a few problems "handling" it .
I've got small/mid sized hands with fat fingers , so I can only get 2 1/2 fingers on the grip . Other problems are nerve damage and Carpal Tunnel in both hands and to top it off I got my right forearm crushed in an APC door in the 80's; Medically Retired USAF 81'-91') .I've been a Tradesman for 35+ years, "bit" of a basket case at 51 .
I bought the "Chief" 2 years ago and I've been talking with the Shop owner about getting something a bit easier to handle . He's willing to give me either full price trade-in or very near to what I originally paid . I called him again Saturday and asked how the 357 Sig. rated on recoil and he told me it was comparable to shooting a 9mm.
I've done some research on the 357 Sig. round and it seems to be a formidable round .
How would this pistol be as a CCW/Close Quarters home defense ? I've read that the 115gr. is real hot and have looked and found the round in 125gr. ,but have not been able to find the 147gr.(?) .
We live in a remote "Meth" infested , high unemployment area here in the S.W. Mo. Ozark's (nearest Cnty. LEO's are 18 miles of backroad away). No exagerations when I say most folks are "packing" either liscensed or not . We have alot burglaries etc. Positive point is Missouri has the "Castle Law" which extends to vehicles or any structure that can be slept in .
With both my wife and I disabled I want to make damn sure if I ever have to use Lethal Force it needs to be exactly that , hence the .357 Sig . sounded like a good candidate .
Good or bad I could use some educated advice on this choice .
Thanks,
Steve

I had a few reviews but lost them when my Hard Drive fried .
This is the most recent review that I was able to find .
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/ST_fnp357_072010WO/index.html

Last edited by The_Desert_Rat; 02-14-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by our "Introductions" area.

I do not know how available the ammo is for the .357 Sig. A firearm without ammo is useless no matter how formidable the round is.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #3

Default FNG-FNP(H) 357 Sig Q's

Thanks for the welcome Dan . I'll get over to Intro's soon .
Needed some short notice advice . I'll be in the shop tomorrow afternoon to check out the FNP(H) . The Owner is 101st. Army Airborn Retired and a "No Nonsense" down to earth man who shoots from the hip .
I have alot of respect for him .
I'm not questioning his integrity or knowledge (He shoots competively (45ACP) but further advice from folks here would be received in the same fashion .
After looking at several sites I chose this site . Seemed to be alot of LEO and generally well experianced people .
Steve

Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have a .357 Sig and have found it to be "snappier" than a 9mm. But it is an excellent round.

Thanks for your service.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I like the .357sig, it is what I carry. I never have a problem finding ammo.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

357sig Positives
Great defense caliber
Fun to shoot
Impressive ballistics

357sig Negatives
Even the "cheap" factory FMJs will typically run $20+/box (JHPs cost no more than other calibers)
It can be a somewhat difficult round when it comes to quick follow-up shots
Your gun's resale potential will suffer due to its uncommon caliber...maybe to the tune of $50-100

More info...

I have a 357sig and I really enjoy shooting it, too bad it's so expensive to feed. If it's an extra gun in your fleet, I have no major reason to deter you. But if this is to be your soul defensive handgun, I think a 9mm, 45acp, and 357mag are far more practical options. And add 40sw to that list as well, even though I do prefer 357sig over 40sw myself. I'm pretty confident there aren't too many people who ever use these calibers in a defensive situation, only to think "oh, too bad I didn't have a 357sig".

When it comes to defense ammo, you can find 50rd boxes of 125gr Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger all over the internet for $25-30. The prevailing wisdom seems to favor the 125gr variety over the 147gr in defensive situations. You're giving up enough speed with the 147gr that at that point you really should opt for the cheaper 40sw, where the 135gr, 140gr, and 155gr defensive loads will give you similar ballistics. But if you really want 147gr 357sig, here it is. And if you order in bulk, Georgia Arms has some decent prices on range ammo.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

With the variety of defensive ammo available for the 9mm, it's probably the best all around caliber price & recoil wise. I have a .357 Sig and it's an impressive round but expensive to shoot. The FN series of pistols are good ones, I've had 2 of them and they are a good value...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2741 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I feel the 9mm is perfectly adequate band much easier on your hands/wrists. Practice with 115 gr FMJ's (inexpensive) and carry 124+P Gold Dots or 127+P+ SXT's. You get the same performance of the Sig round, more capacity and much cheaper ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Default fng-fnp(h) q's

Thanks folks , really .
I had a 40SW. about 15 years ago . It was an off brand beast that was all over the globe on shots . The barrel "walked" .020"-.030" with the slide forward . I took it and pawned it off . The shop owner and I talked about that and he was saying they are "snappy" and he noticed "torque twist" when shooting one .I can vouch for the Snap but was too shocked to notice the Torque . I still have a full box of ammo for the 40 after 15 years....
So that leaves 2 options ,, investigate the 9mm. or mill an extension for my Chief from Delrin (for any that haven't heard of Delrin it's a polymer that mills like steel and is not brittle) .
I've had steering bushings built for one of my old classic Chryslers several years ago . Poly-Graphite bushings are like rubber compared to Delrin .
I've also used it for shock bushings on my last 4x4 .The replacement bushings were something like $100.00 to replace , the Delrin was $10.00 or so .
I have a friend who is a mill wright and restores telescopes (some from the 1700's-early 1800's) and vintage clocks . The guys abilities are amazing !
I laid out dimensions/design for a Delrin clip extension to replace the current one on the 45 clip .
All said and done the Chief is still a 6-7 shot and a bobbed trigger . The clips are pricey $40.00+ and then there is that first shot on full pull if a round is chambered .
Guess I need to make a few calls .
Thanks for the input .
I'll get back to you all either way .
Steve

Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

.357 Sig is a bullet of similar size to a 9mm, with a lot more pressure behind it, so it will have more recoil that a 9mm. How much more, I don't know, I've only shot it in a rental gun some time ago. The rental gun was an FNP, though, and it handled pretty well.

.357 will be more expensive and tougher to find than other calibers, no way around it. If cheap ammo is a concern, 9mm or .40 are your best bet in automatics. If the owner of your FLGS stocks firearms in .357, he probably stocks a fair selection of ammo, as well.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm