FN Five-seveN s 5.7x28mm - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FN Five-seveN s 5.7x28mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've been seeing the FN ammo on the shelves. Price has been around $19 per 50. My shooting partner scored a case of it from one of the online places and it worked out to just over $18 per 50, delivered.

That doesn't seem too bad to me. ???

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I've been seeing the FN ammo on the shelves. Price has been around $19 per 50. My shooting partner scored a case of it from one of the online places and it worked out to just over $18 per 50, delivered.

I get 9mm for 12 bucks for 50 at wally world, and .45 for like $16 (50 rds). So yea thats a bit pricy.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #13

I don't know what kind of Wal-Mart you're shopping at, but I wish we had one here. The 9mm at my local wal-mart is cheaper at $10 per 50, but the Federal .45 (which they barely ever have), is the cheapest .45 they have and it's 20.99.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Seems to me that if any major gun manufacturer produced a smaller, more concealable variation on the FN Herstal Five-seveN... say, like 14 rds. instead of 20... and smaller all-around... THAT gun could cause shock-waves in the Concealed Carry market. C'mon... 14 rds. of low-recoil proven man-stopping power in a small light compact-carry gun... It'd sell like hot-cakes!
+1
Shoots very nice, but it's just too big. I'd definitely buy one if G19 size or smaller, and less than $700. $0.50 rounds wouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

No, that's not too bad at all imo.

I felt up a fn 5.7 today. It felt......strange in my hand and like it was made or very light polymer. Me no likey......

Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #16

I think its a great gun. 20 rounds is very very cool. Plus I believe you can even get 30 round magazines too (pretty insane for a handgun). It is about as lethal as a 9mm and a 9mm is good enough for me. But 50 rounds of 9mm is ~$10 not $20-$25 like the 5.7 ammo. But if money is no object and performance is what is needed. It is hard to beat how little recoil this light-weight gun offers with the huge mag capacity it has.

It will just be expensive to practice with so keep that in mind. If it is your only gun or you are used to shooting .45 ACP (which is expensive too) then you probably won't mind it.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #17

My main carry is 99% of the time a .45 that uses JHP ammo, and practicing with that ammo is a little expensive but to carry a lightweight gun that can use up 30rounds, and is easily concealable (compared to lets say a fairly larger gun like a Mark 23), I'd choose this, and the different types of ammo out there is quite nice. Considering it uses a .224 caliber bullet, and the ballistic testing on youtube and reading official tests its a good bang for the buck.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Seems to me that if any major gun manufacturer produced a smaller, more concealable variation on the FN Herstal Five-seveN... say, like 14 rds. instead of 20... and smaller all-around... THAT gun could cause shock-waves in the Concealed Carry market. C'mon... 14 rds. of low-recoil proven man-stopping power in a small light compact-carry gun... It'd sell like hot-cakes!
This is so my thinking. The point of a light-recoiling round IMHO is that the weapon can be made lighter and smaller. FN only made their's lighter. If they made one the size of a XD compact with a 12 to 14 round capacity, it would be a great concealed carry piece for individuals that are recoil sensitive.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 326

I agree with the comment that it would be nice if the high volume manufacturers would jump on board. If Glock, SA, S&W start bldg them, the ammo would become more common & cheaper.

Hey, Engineering types, question:
Is there anything about the 5.7x28 that makes building a gun around it more difficult than the more "normal" cartridges?

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #20

Default FN Five-SeveN

I read an article recently that praised the Five-SeveN as an ideal handgun for home defense. "The 5.7x28mm round combines the bottleneck shape of rifle rounds and the shorter length of a handgun round like the 9mm." What this does, according to the article, "pushes a roughly 30-40 grain projectile out of the barrel at around 2,100 feet per second, compared to a traditional 9mm Luger round that propels a 124-grain bullet at 1,150 feet per second." This gives the round a lot of power, but not much recoil which makes for some accurate shooting.

The article states that the lightweight, high-speed round theoretically will not penetrate interior walls of a home as deeply as the heavier and slower traditional hand-gun cartridges. To back this claim, the article refers to a local SWAT team that uses the Five-SeveN and they constructed three walls from sheetrock and 2x4's, placed 12 feet apart to simulate the average room they might encounter on an entry. When they fired the 5.7 round, it started to keyhole after striking the second wall and never went through the third.

There were other reasons the author of the article liked about the Five-SeveN that make it a great home defense hand-gun, but I'm sold on the high power, slight recoil and lack of collateral penetration. I own an FNP 9mm, which is made by FNH UNA, the same manufacturer of the Five-SeveN and I love it. It's ultra light, super accurate and great fun to shoot. I can't wait to add the Five-SeveN to my collection, from everything I've read and heard about it, it's a great pistol.

Last edited by EdwardH; 10-19-2010 at 02:41 AM.