Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   FN Five-Seven (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/fn-five-seven-37275/)

classic 01-23-2011 07:23 AM

FN Five-Seven

Looking for some opinions on this handgun. A few bullet points:

- how do the plastic mags hold up?

- My personal point of reference would be the Glock 17 and Sig 226, so I'm wondering how it compares in terms of ergonomics and stopping power with the civil-spec round. I'm not going to automatically buy the "hurr-durr most powerful," just wondering if the stopping power is adequate for self-defense. I also heard the ammo's pretty expensive, though I know it also comes in .22LR (though the pistol itself'll still be expensive just for plinking).

- Any reliability issues with the weapon?

danf_fl 01-23-2011 07:45 AM

Can you get extra mags?
Where can you get a quality holster?
Can you afford enough ammo to become proficient with it, or will the handgun become a "safe queen"?

IMO, buy what is more common on the market, in a caliber that is readily available, that you can get aftermarket accessories for.

JonM 01-23-2011 01:55 PM

my opinion:

unless you can get the military grade ammo its about on par with a 22mag. its more of a gimmick/fad thing than anything else. better off going with something in 45acp for ccw/self defense.

if you want one just to take to the range and have fun go for it. for self defense... definately no.

others may have different opinions.

WDB 01-24-2011 02:19 AM

A fan of the FNH pistols just not this one, I don't see it as a realistic useable firearm IMHO

silentghost 01-25-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classic (Post 427627)
Looking for some opinions on this handgun. A few bullet points:

- how do the plastic mags hold up?

- My personal point of reference would be the Glock 17 and Sig 226, so I'm wondering how it compares in terms of ergonomics and stopping power with the civil-spec round. I'm not going to automatically buy the "hurr-durr most powerful," just wondering if the stopping power is adequate for self-defense. I also heard the ammo's pretty expensive, though I know it also comes in .22LR (though the pistol itself'll still be expensive just for plinking).

- Any reliability issues with the weapon?

I have had absolutely 0 reliablity issues with my FN 5.7, and while the "stopping" power may not be as high as other firearms, I have yet to see anybody offer to take a hit from one either. The ammo is quite expensive as you eluded to as well. The magazines on mine have held up quite well. Neat little firearm if you ask me, some like it, some do not.

May want to look into the PMR 30, dirt cheap, (comparatively) and 30 rounds without having to buy the 10 round mag extension.

However, I enjoy my 5.7, and while it is not my daily carry, it is fun to shoot, and produces a nice little fireball :)

sweeper22 01-25-2011 06:15 AM

I think they're pretty cool, but they aren't really practical as a do-it-all primary sidearm...which is where the G17 and P226 that you mention really shine.

But the FiveSeveN would probably shine as an extended range target or varmint pistol.