Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FN/Browning HP or Beretta 92FS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
I am the Fanman
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some say the Hi Power came from John Browning fixing the issues he saw in the 1911 design which he designed as well and is also a fine weapon so please 1911 lovers don't lynch me. It's a very tested long lived design for about a hundred years now. Beretta is a fine weapon just hard to compare the two against each other. As I always recommend if you can go to your local range see if they have both those guns and try them out side by side. And always buy what you're comfortable with. Because what's mot important is how you like it how it feels in you hands and how comfortable you are with the way it functions.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #12

Hi power hands down, as long as you don't go clone it'll last forever, my buddy has one and hasn't cleaned it for probably well over 2k rounds, still functions flawlessly. Never had feeding issues with hollow points, or frangible ammo so don't even worry about that. Finally the trigger is absolute glass on the thing, anyone who calls it gritty should shoot a 92fs.

Never Forget.

Last edited by 1stMarine; 01-13-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #13

So when I go to the gun show, what should I expect to pay for a well maintained 90ish% + or new one? I live in Ohio so I wouldn't figure the price to be too bad right? Plus I could probably talk them down a little bit with cash in hand?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #14

How big is the show, county, state? The bigger the more $$$ but better condition generally. That's just a general trend though from my experiences. There's really no telling what you'll find or be paying until you get there. Just be wary of some of the deals there, one of my friends got an SKS at one and the magazine wouldn't feed period. On further inspection the spring actually rusted through. Finally I guarentee you can talk them down, its just a matter of how much. A smart person will allow for this on their sticker price, so I'd reccomend go first at 60% then slowly come up to around 80% asking price.

Never Forget.

Last edited by 1stMarine; 01-13-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #15

Thanks for the tip friend. I live in Ohio, USA and I think it will be a slightly smaller gun show but I'm not entirely sure tbh. It will be my first gun show so I'm going to assume they will be OK with letting me hold it and what not? Since I'm younger I feel like he might look at me slightly strange. Also, how will I know to watch for things that might not be right internally with the gun? I would hate to buy one that looks great and then get it home to find bad things internally. I don't suppose he/she would open it up, strip it or something?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #16

If they don't let you hold it, don't buy it. The best thing you can do is try to work the action a few times, or its a stretch but you could ask them to field strip it in front of you. Look for things like surface rust, cracks, really deep scratches/ gouges on the internals (they really don't make a difference on the outside action wise). Ask for the age, number of previous owners, approximate number of rounds through it, any modifications done or problems fixed, and if new enough whether or not its still under warranty (most are around 1 yr). Also make him/ her sell you the pistol, act interested but not obsessed. Act like you really don't "need" it and that you could walk at any time. Point out imperfections/ damage. And remember you don't HAVE to make a deal right then, if the deal isn't there don't force it, and you have options. The internet is here for a reason try finding out what you should pay by finding the rough price range of what you want online, then use that as an objective, try to beat it. (Also print the page out to show them that they do in fact have competition, it'll encourage them to lower their price below that of what was found online)

Never Forget.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #17

Very good advice friend. Sounds like you have been to a few of these shows.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #18

One or two lol.

Never Forget.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

For an excellent used BHP you're probably looking at $650, give or take $100. At a show a little over a year ago (Sept 2010) I was happy to snatch this one up for $500:

Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

My choice, Browning Hi-Power. It is one of the few handguns that I lust over that I don't own yet, but I'll get there.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.