Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FN 5.7 vs 9mm .40 .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FN 5.7 vs 9mm .40 .45

I have been researching this quite a bit the past few days, and I have found a lot of very biased opinions on firing this rifle ammunition through a handgun.

My thought process for self defense is: Put as many rounds down range as accurately as possible. I am not going for a one shot one kill in the dark hallway of my home. I am putting effective rounds down range as quickly as possible. Hence the 5.7 ammunition, I found with the low recoil and high accuracy, falls into that category perfectly. Yes, in a perfect world I think we would all like the one shot one kill in self defense, but realistically, when these situations occur there are always unforeseen factors, and barriers that you are not ready for. Not to mention the 5.7 is an outstanding kevlar penetrator. I would sacrifice a little "Knock down" power for solid accuracy during sustained fire.

I am welcome and open to opinions and suggestions.

I will also hand this weapon to my fiancee when we tie the knot and she moves in. Teaching her how to shoot accurately won't be a problem with a handgun like this, and I would rather her stick to what she is comfortable with as she is learning.

Steady position, clear site picture, breathing control, trigger squeeze. Kill shot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #2

One problem I see with the 5.7 as a home defense round is the design of the round itself. One of the thing's the round was designed for was to penetrate, and penetrate it does. And not just kevlar, but walls also, which is usually looked down upon in a home defense type situation. Plus the chance of anyone breaking into your home wearing kevlar is slim to none.

Just my .02

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

the civilian purchasable rounds arent the type that penetrate armor.

the civilian version is the rough equiv of the 22 winchester magnum rimfire. the bullets that make it a viable SD cartridge you cant get. the one i have tried in real life had issues chambering the first round in a full mag. maybe bad mags maybe not its the only one iver ever seen or fired.

my opinion:

personally i wouldnt use it for SD unless i ran out of sharp sticks and rocks...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the civilian purchasable rounds arent the type that penetrate armor.

the civilian version is the rough equiv of the 22 winchester magnum rimfire. the bullets that make it a viable SD cartridge you cant get. the one i have tried in real life had issues chambering the first round in a full mag. maybe bad mags maybe not its the only one iver ever seen or fired.

my opinion:

personally i wouldnt use it for SD unless i ran out of sharp sticks and rocks...
Are you referring to the factory FN 5.7 rounds? If so, I understand you relating them to the .22 winmag. But, it's also not the only round available to CIV/CCW.

I have been looking on eliteammunition.net and have found a couple rounds that are marketed for LE/MI/CIV that are made for SD. The website actually has an entire section dedicated to much higher quality 5.7 ammunition. Take a look if you don't mind and tell me what you think.

EA 5.7x28mm Ammunition

I was looking at the: ProtecTOR III (CCW) and the X-TerminaTOR (LE/MI/CIV)

Also take a look at this link showing the CIV round that defeats level II armor while still penetrating 11" of Perma-gel.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53538067/Elite-Ammunition-EA-Current-Email-Civilian-Data-Sheet-1-5-11

I have been doing A LOT of research and snooping around trying to educate myself on this round as much as I can. So far, I am very happy with my results if these results are indeed true that are being posted.

Steady position, clear site picture, breathing control, trigger squeeze. Kill shot.

Last edited by OneOneBravo; 09-02-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the one i have tried in real life had issues chambering the first round in a full mag. maybe bad mags maybe not its the only one iver ever seen or fired.
I looked into this some time ago. The rounds need to be fully seated to the rear of the mag. The first round tends to catch below the feed ramp. Goofy design, I don't know.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
I looked into this some time ago. The rounds need to be fully seated to the rear of the mag. The first round tends to catch below the feed ramp. Goofy design, I don't know.
Well I know. If you have to be that careful for it to work, it's not good for defensive purposes. There has to be a certain amount of "fool-proof"ness in a design for it to be reliable.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #7

Well, I'm guessing no one took the time to review what I last posted via the links in regards to my question that I originally posted. (Considering no one has replied to it). Which proves that high quality SD rounds are available for civilian purchase for the 5.7x28. I also wouldn't go as far as to say a round isn't "full proof" if someone's personal experience was just failure to properly seat rounds in the magazine. I know A LOT of rounds and weapons that have this problem "including AR's" that won't chamber if not seated properly.