Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Fn 5.7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1628 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Default Fn 5.7

A friend brought an empty case over to my house to ask me if I had seen one. It was the 5.7 x 28. I showed him an ad I saw in a shooting magazine. But, I really have little info other than what FN tells you to try to get you to spend $1300 on a high powered 22 pistol. Anyone got any first hand knowledge on this gun? Ever shot one? Info on bullistics? Anything is appreciated.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

First off, I haven't shot one...so this is second hand knowledge on my part.

They're a pretty cool concept. A reasonably light (but full framed) poly gun with a capacity of 20 rounds (30 w/ extension). The 5.7 round comes in a few variaties but you're generally pushing a 30gr bullet out of a pistol at around 2000fps. They're supposed to have some capabilities to defeat body armor with the right ammo. For civilian defense use their performance boils down to impressive velocity plus the tumbling effect similar to a .223...small entry hole but a substantial wound cavity as the bullet usually exits sideways. Also, this gun has minimal recoil. I've heard mixed opinions about the range and accuracy.

It's more of a special ops tacticool pistol, but pretty neat just the same. I've seen a handful of new/like new FiveseveNs going for $800-1000 in the private market. I believe you're looking at about 50 cents a round to feed them...which might be an even bigger drawback than the initial investment.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2546 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Ammo is coming down in price as more makers come on board. Boxer primed brass is available as are loading dies. For a SD weapon it has some validity. I know of a few Officer Involved Shootings that were quite successful one shot stops.

The Ft. Hood jihadist used one with some degree of lethality.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Ammo is coming down in price as more makers come on board. Boxer primed brass is available as are loading dies. For a SD weapon it has some validity. I know of a few Officer Involved Shootings that were quite successful one shot stops.

The Ft. Hood jihadist used one with some degree of lethality.
I believe someone with the proper training could do serious damage with a 22LR out of a Ruger. This is interesting information. But I don't think I'm ready to trade in my 1911 anytime soon. Still 2000 fps out of a pistol is pretty impressive.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #5

I have noticed that the ads have a woman's hand with bright red nail polish. They are going after the ladies, it would appear. I could really see a need there. Any idea how hard it is to rack the slide? My wife can't rack any of my autos.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My partner has one and it is pretty impressive. We have shot it at long range in the desert and it is very accurate. Recoil is almost non-existent.

His family owns a ranch, and everything he has shot with it has gone down hard with one shot.

And there are AR conversion kits in 5.7 that use P90 mags. I know a local cop who has one and loves it.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

I was looking into buying one used.
I have never shot one.
They were designed for the military to defeat body armor, as more and more troops around the world are being equipped with armor.
Recoil is light.
Another noted advantage is that the ammo is half the weight as a 9mm.
Troops can carry twice as much ammo.
I dropped the idea of buying one because ammo is very limited, the gun itself is very expensive for a poly frame, and I currently don't anticipate a need to shoot through body armor.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
They were designed for the military to defeat body armor, as more and more troops around the world are being equipped with armor.
Is this true?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Is this true?
In reality, OUR military did not develp it. FN developed it, in response to military demand for a round to defeat body armor which could be fired from smaller weapons. Do a quick search on Wikipedia. It gives history and details.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #10

Is it still true that the only manufacturer that makes ammo for it is FN?