Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Fn 5.7 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/fn-5-7-a-24646/)

Rick1967 03-14-2010 03:36 AM

Fn 5.7

A friend brought an empty case over to my house to ask me if I had seen one. It was the 5.7 x 28. I showed him an ad I saw in a shooting magazine. But, I really have little info other than what FN tells you to try to get you to spend $1300 on a high powered 22 pistol. Anyone got any first hand knowledge on this gun? Ever shot one? Info on bullistics? Anything is appreciated.

sweeper22 03-14-2010 09:07 AM

First off, I haven't shot one...so this is second hand knowledge on my part.

They're a pretty cool concept. A reasonably light (but full framed) poly gun with a capacity of 20 rounds (30 w/ extension). The 5.7 round comes in a few variaties but you're generally pushing a 30gr bullet out of a pistol at around 2000fps. They're supposed to have some capabilities to defeat body armor with the right ammo. For civilian defense use their performance boils down to impressive velocity plus the tumbling effect similar to a .223...small entry hole but a substantial wound cavity as the bullet usually exits sideways. Also, this gun has minimal recoil. I've heard mixed opinions about the range and accuracy.

It's more of a special ops tacticool pistol, but pretty neat just the same. I've seen a handful of new/like new FiveseveNs going for $800-1000 in the private market. I believe you're looking at about 50 cents a round to feed them...which might be an even bigger drawback than the initial investment.

robocop10mm 03-14-2010 03:06 PM

Ammo is coming down in price as more makers come on board. Boxer primed brass is available as are loading dies. For a SD weapon it has some validity. I know of a few Officer Involved Shootings that were quite successful one shot stops.

The Ft. Hood jihadist used one with some degree of lethality.

Rick1967 03-14-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 248302)
Ammo is coming down in price as more makers come on board. Boxer primed brass is available as are loading dies. For a SD weapon it has some validity. I know of a few Officer Involved Shootings that were quite successful one shot stops.

The Ft. Hood jihadist used one with some degree of lethality.

I believe someone with the proper training could do serious damage with a 22LR out of a Ruger. This is interesting information. But I don't think I'm ready to trade in my 1911 anytime soon. Still 2000 fps out of a pistol is pretty impressive.

Rick1967 03-14-2010 04:06 PM

I have noticed that the ads have a woman's hand with bright red nail polish. They are going after the ladies, it would appear. I could really see a need there. Any idea how hard it is to rack the slide? My wife can't rack any of my autos.

M14sRock 03-14-2010 04:19 PM

My partner has one and it is pretty impressive. We have shot it at long range in the desert and it is very accurate. Recoil is almost non-existent.

His family owns a ranch, and everything he has shot with it has gone down hard with one shot.

And there are AR conversion kits in 5.7 that use P90 mags. I know a local cop who has one and loves it.

jimbobpissypants 03-14-2010 09:19 PM

I was looking into buying one used.
I have never shot one.
They were designed for the military to defeat body armor, as more and more troops around the world are being equipped with armor.
Recoil is light.
Another noted advantage is that the ammo is half the weight as a 9mm.
Troops can carry twice as much ammo.
I dropped the idea of buying one because ammo is very limited, the gun itself is very expensive for a poly frame, and I currently don't anticipate a need to shoot through body armor.

Gojubrian 03-14-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

They were designed for the military to defeat body armor, as more and more troops around the world are being equipped with armor.
Is this true?

jimbobpissypants 03-15-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 248538)
Is this true?

In reality, OUR military did not develp it. FN developed it, in response to military demand for a round to defeat body armor which could be fired from smaller weapons. Do a quick search on Wikipedia. It gives history and details.

SevenShooter 03-15-2010 04:00 PM

Is it still true that the only manufacturer that makes ammo for it is FN?