fmj for defense? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > fmj for defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
The military uses 9mm fmj, but they are fighting enemy with more padding then the normal street thug. The penetration is needed. The round injures more then kills, but that is also why .223 is used. The idea is injured soldiers need other soldiers to help them, which means less are fighting. Remember that fmj is also used because it goes through the enemy and continues down range. So, be careful. In the winter, people wear lots of clothing, so that extra penetration may be needed. Just a thought.
Not to mention the Geneva compact

Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
will shooting alot of fmj wear my barrel out sooner?, i have heard that fmj is harder on barrels than hollow points. thanks
Most hollow points are copper jacket and run through the lans of the barrel just as a FMJ does. The barrel won't discriminate between the 2.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
Not to mention the Geneva compact
Very true! The military is starting to move away from it believe it or not. Military snipers are using hollow point rounds now. This is the exception. I believe congress had a meeting about it maybe ten years ago?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #14

Liked 338 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

Very true! The military is starting to move away from it believe it or not. Military snipers are using hollow point rounds now. This is the exception. I believe congress had a meeting about it maybe ten years ago?
I think its called open tip match not sure if it expands but it's supposed to be more accurate.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9572 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Whoever told you FMJ produces more wear is a dumbkopf. A jacketed hollow point bullet still has a JACKET- which is the part of the bullet that actually contacts the bore.

And a FMJ would not be my FIRST choice, but is way ahead of LAST choice. Shoot until target changes shape or catches fire.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

old fart,

If that is all I had at the present time, "you bet I would carry them". Shot placement and multiple shots!
If course defending myself, I am not going to stop with only one round no matter what I am carrying in the pistol. 9-40-45 cal. It does not matter it is a minimum of two or three!.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
I think its called open tip match not sure if it expands but it's supposed to be more accurate.
True, but the military is very good at BS so they can get around inconvienant rules. It is all in the wording. My Norma Vulcan ammo has the same characteristics and it does expand. More damage to game then my soft point ammo. A lot more loss of blood from the entrance wound. Oh, congress has said that this type of ammo can be used for counterterrorism operations that do not involve conventional armies. Once again, wording.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I say break off from the Geneva convention. The enemy we are dealing with today does not adhere to any rules of engagement, so why should we not use hollow-points.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #19

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I carry FMJ exclusively. 1911's modeled after the original (like mine is) aren't known for reliably feeding HP. However, mine IS actually designed for it with the throat and feed ramp, while retaining most of the looks of the original (springfield milspec if you're wondering).

Mine has eaten everything I've fed it, except for exactly 3 dangerously out of spec reloads of questionable origin (bought a box of 50 at a flea market for 5 bucks). I fed these to it just to see if it would take them.

The REASON I carry FMJ is because it's cheap. Yeah, yeah, I know.. "trust your life to cheap ammo? Is it worth so little to you?"

Yes I do, and no it's not. I frequent places and situations in a community where a confrontation is highly unlikely. And I am accurate with it. I TRUST HP in my gun, but basically, I carry what I practice with.

Start perforating a BG and they're most likely to turn and run anyway, if they don't run simply when you present. Animals... Maybe not so much.

I think I'd pick a different chambering if I couldn't stop the local wildlife with what I was carrying. Animals are way more likely to charge and attack when wounded than a human is. Personally, I wouldn't use anything less than a .357 mag for woods carry, if I needed it (thankfully, the local wildlife here isn't exactly dangerous), and would prefer to simply have the biggest freaking gun I could carry as a sidearm.

Carry what you've got. Upgrade later as you can. Even a JA.22 is better than a pointed stick.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3185 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 2062

OF - carry what you have, until you have what you want.