Fluting the Barrel?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Fluting the Barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Fluting the Barrel?

By that I mean drilling holes in barrel to help expel gasses and reduce recoil. Of coarse this is one of those cost/benefit modifications. I think you end up having to clean the gun more often and it's not quite as accurate because the gasses aren't behind the bullet as long. Any opinions?

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Your talking about porting the barrel to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. Fluting is grooves cut into the barrel to reduce weight. You can see flutting on revolver cylinders also.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ah, you mean porting the barrel, as in drilling ports to expel the gasses.
Benefits, reduced recoil, increased control
Minuses, not recommended for self-defense pistols that may be discharged close to the body or even in a pocket. More blast closer to the shooter and directed towards the shooter and those alongside the shooter.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

All I can say is they is no way in hell i'd drill holes in any of my gun barrels
Now if i had a hi-point ------NAW

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I were to do it, I'd probably direct the holes down range. If it goes off in my pocket, I doubt I'm going to be concerned about the porting. It's just it's expensive to get a compensator even under the condition of being able to find one. And if you plan to carry, that compensator can be a pain. I probably get holes placed in my slide it decrease cycle time too. But if the only concern is noise...

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney
If I were to do it, I'd probably direct the holes down range. If it goes off in my pocket, I doubt I'm going to be concerned about the porting. It's just it's expensive to get a compensator even under the condition of being able to find one. And if you plan to carry, that compensator can be a pain. I probably get holes placed in my slide it decrease cycle time too. But if the only concern is noise...
Its not worth porting or compensating any pistol unless you are speed shootin or its a magnum hunting pistol like a 454 cassul, 500 s&w, or such pistols. Rifles are the only things that should be ported/fluted barrel wise and only then to reduce weight, recoil, and muzzle pressure on the bullet becase you DO get a little better accuracy from a ported rifle barrel

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Last edited by Marlinman; 04-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry about the terminology mistake. I just heard some one say their revolver was fluted, looked over, saw the barrel was ported and assumed they were synonyms.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

People tell me I make my gun sound like a machine gun. And I still hit my target consistently.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #9

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Porting make any gun LOUD.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Fluted cylinder

fluted-cylinder.jpg

Unfluted cylinder

unfluted.jpg

Would NOT attempt to port a barrel by drilling holes in it. Porting is done with machine tools that do not leave a burr (rough spot) inside the barrel.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.