Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Fluting the Barrel? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/fluting-barrel-62102/)

Kenney 04-08-2012 06:36 PM

Fluting the Barrel?

By that I mean drilling holes in barrel to help expel gasses and reduce recoil. Of coarse this is one of those cost/benefit modifications. I think you end up having to clean the gun more often and it's not quite as accurate because the gasses aren't behind the bullet as long. Any opinions?

onenut58 04-08-2012 06:55 PM

Your talking about porting the barrel to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. Fluting is grooves cut into the barrel to reduce weight. You can see flutting on revolver cylinders also.

4thPointOfContact 04-08-2012 06:56 PM

Ah, you mean porting the barrel, as in drilling ports to expel the gasses.
Benefits, reduced recoil, increased control
Minuses, not recommended for self-defense pistols that may be discharged close to the body or even in a pocket. More blast closer to the shooter and directed towards the shooter and those alongside the shooter.

HOSSFLY 04-08-2012 06:56 PM

All I can say is they is no way in hell i'd drill holes in any of my gun barrels :eek:
Now if i had a hi-point ------NAW :D

Kenney 04-08-2012 07:28 PM

If I were to do it, I'd probably direct the holes down range. If it goes off in my pocket, I doubt I'm going to be concerned about the porting. It's just it's expensive to get a compensator even under the condition of being able to find one. And if you plan to carry, that compensator can be a pain. I probably get holes placed in my slide it decrease cycle time too. But if the only concern is noise...

Marlinman 04-08-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney
If I were to do it, I'd probably direct the holes down range. If it goes off in my pocket, I doubt I'm going to be concerned about the porting. It's just it's expensive to get a compensator even under the condition of being able to find one. And if you plan to carry, that compensator can be a pain. I probably get holes placed in my slide it decrease cycle time too. But if the only concern is noise...

Its not worth porting or compensating any pistol unless you are speed shootin or its a magnum hunting pistol like a 454 cassul, 500 s&w, or such pistols. Rifles are the only things that should be ported/fluted barrel wise and only then to reduce weight, recoil, and muzzle pressure on the bullet becase you DO get a little better accuracy from a ported rifle barrel

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Kenney 04-08-2012 07:32 PM

Sorry about the terminology mistake. I just heard some one say their revolver was fluted, looked over, saw the barrel was ported and assumed they were synonyms.

Kenney 04-08-2012 07:33 PM

People tell me I make my gun sound like a machine gun. And I still hit my target consistently.

hiwall 04-08-2012 10:56 PM

Porting make any gun LOUD.

c3shooter 04-09-2012 12:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fluted cylinder

Attachment 43271

Unfluted cylinder

Attachment 43272

Would NOT attempt to port a barrel by drilling holes in it. Porting is done with machine tools that do not leave a burr (rough spot) inside the barrel.