A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

OMG I must have some piss poor English professors. I could not make it past the 5 paragraph well sentence no maybe it was a paragraph. I am no English professor but I did Get an A in all 5 of my English classes with a recommendation from two different professors that I should minor in English.

OK one sentence is not a paragraph. A paragraph is a group of sentences that are along the same lines. Each sentence is a separate thought but together all the thoughts are along the same lines. Other than the piss poor use of grammar and/or the serious lack thereof how else do you expect people to take it? It is wrote like a joke so people take it as a joke.

As far as point shooting. I am not letting my finger contact the slide of my 1911 while firing it. LOL you can if you want, but I will not be doing that. I prefer to have a good grip on the pistol when I fire it. Next your going to be telling us to shoot with out pinkie sticking out to the side like when rich Brits drink the tea. Point shooting is only good for engagements of less than 5' in my eyes.

Quote:
And no doubt over the past "100 years" of army and police combat, the 1911 design flaw has resulted in countless injuries to and many deaths of our Armed Forces members and Police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by There I fixed it up for you
No doubt that over the past one hundred years of Military and Police use, the 1911design flaw has resulted in countless injuries and maybe deaths of our Military and Police Force members.
Quote:
In my opinion, prohibiting the use of a real and effective shooting method, to accommodate a weapon, rather than making a minor modification to a weapon to accommodate those who go in harms way, makes no sense.
No one cares about your opinion in this case. If you are writing a research paper you will be thought a fool when you place this line in your writing. So are you writing a research paper or are you writing a opinion paper? Two different formats, I would suggest that if you want to write a research paper you use either standard MLA or APA Format. Citing sources in a bibliography. These things would make your paper much more formal and would give you at least some creditablility in the eyes of the reader, I would also limit the use of end notes or foot notes as well. I have wrote papers in both formats and they have their place. If you are writing a scientific paper about the use of and tactics of point shooting I would go more for a APA style. If you are going to write a paper on your opinion about how the 1911 is unsuitable for point shooting then I would use the MLA format with no more than 3 sources and quotes per page.

Hope this helps in your endeavor to become a writer. Oh, and if you didn't know there is only one period at teh end of a sentence. <= like here.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-24-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #12

Sorry about my English.

On one hand, I have found it a bit strange that some police and some others in the gun community, write in run-on-and-on-and-on paragraphs.

And on the other hand, I also have found some to be of a very very sharp mind.

And then it is also true that some are naturally gifted writers who can out together posts and responses in the blink of an eye, that are better than I ever could hope to put together.

And some need help in presenting their ideas.

For me, it's mostly hard work, and mostly uphill.

I have had several articles on Point Shooting and self defense published in a variety of police publications, so at least some have thought well enough of my ideas and/or English, as poor as it is, to share them/it with their members.

Best regards,

Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

I have taught hundreds of cadets, shot thousands of rounds in IPSC and quals. I have shot with Grand Masters and founders of IPSC. The only person I have ever known to shoot a handgun with the index finger extended is a guy that has a damaged index finger that will not bend.

To say that is a "fatal flaw" of the 1911 design is down right stupid. Just more of the same garbage from the kind of person that can't see the forest for the trees. The kind of person that focuses on one small issue and declares it to be the only issue.

A fatal flaw of all hammer fired firearms is the gun will be rendered inoperable if the firing pin breaks. Only striker fired guns are safe to carry! Oh, unless the striker breaks. Smith and Wesson auto pistols (and Browning HP's) are unsafe because of the magazine disconnector. If you have to shoot in the middle of a mag change, you will surely die an awful death. Unless you are one of the officers trained to pop your mag out in the event a suspect is trying to take your gun, then he's dead from your backup gun.

I went to get fitted for my new body armor several years ago and the salesman was quick to declare our new armor choice to be unsafe because we were issuing Spectra Shield armor rather than Kevlar. After all Spectra Shield gives off toxic fumes when it burns. DUH! If my vest is on fire, so am I. Maybe a quick death from toxic inhalation is better than death from burns. People are often afflicted with severe cases of tunnel vision. Step back and see the whole picture!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
I went to get fitted for my new body armor several years ago and the salesman was quick to declare our new armor choice to be unsafe because we were issuing Spectra Shield armor rather than Kevlar. After all Spectra Shield gives off toxic fumes when it burns. DUH! If my vest is on fire, so am I. Maybe a quick death from toxic inhalation is better than death from burns. People are often afflicted with severe cases of tunnel vision. Step back and see the whole picture!
Interesting robocop10mm , and while what the guy said was pretty goofy in the context of actually wearing that vest I'm not so sure I would want it .

The reason is what if an electrical fire started in the closet you hang such a vest in when not wearing it ?

I don't know about you but I would want to check into the flame retardant rating of something that gave off toxic fumes before it came in my house , a fire while sleeping and that thing catching fire would put you and your family in far more danger than just the fire itself . Toxic fumes could also prevent a firefighter from rescuing people in the home .

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
Sorry about my English.
For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with your English, or your presentation. I understand what you are trying to convey, I just believe it's so completely far out in left field that NO ONE who is familiar with the design and operation of a 1911 would consider this "Major Flaw" to even be worth wasting the time to ponder for even a moment.

If shooting with two fingers on the handle, your thumb, and a finger along the slide of the weapon, the operation of the 1911 would have been designed with one high side, for your index finger, and one low side for the frame itself from the start. Or, it would have been adapted as such in the 100 plus years it's been in service.

Contrary to opinion you might have heard, John Moses Browning was no dummy. In the firearms world alone, the man is credited with 128 Patents from the US Patent Office. In addition to developing some of the most awesome weapons the world has ever seen, he is also credited with cartridges, either directly or with influence, for weapons that are still in use today. How about: .25ACP? .32ACP? .380ACP? .45ACP?!?! .50BMG?!

Any of these sound remotely familiar?

Couple that with the fact that the 1911 has gone through "revisions" at the hands of some of the best pistolsmiths the world has ever known. We are talking about true Master Craftsmen. If there was a fatal flaw to be found, I am pretty sure someone would have mentioned it before the InternetZ came along.

To sit by, over 100 years later, and pretend that this "Fatal Flaw" has been exposed because no one thought to test the pistol in Point Shooting is completely absurd.

I will leave you with a comment from Secretary of War, Donald Davis upon hearing of John Browning's death in 1926

"It is not thought that any other individual has contributed so much to the national security of this country as Mr. Browning in the development of our machine guns and our automatic weapons to a state of military efficiency surpassing that of all nations..."

Careful when you throw stones into this pond - You don't have the shoes for the repercussions of your actions.

JD

Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

bravo Dillinger. Good points now if I could just get you back to liking Remington actions. LOL HAHAHAHAHA.....

I thought most shooting is point shooting. You point the gun at the target and pull the damn trigger it goes bang and if you know what the hell your doing it get a hole of goes ping or it dies.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Southpaws?

What about left-handed shooters? About all they could goof-up is the meat on their finger from the slide-stop gashing against it.

This is not a comfortable hold on 1911, even for us lefties!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
now if I could just get you back to liking Remington actions. LOL HAHAHAHAHA.....
It's still possible cpt - The Regional Rep for Big Green was by the shop yesterday and left some trinkets for us local boys. Apparently he even left something for little old me.

If it's anything worth a damn, or if I can get a shot of that new super action, I will post them tonight when I get home.

JD

Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #19

No photo of the super action. No photo of the new $14K R-n-D Rifle Stock to go on it either. BUT I got to play with it, if anyone is interested.

In other news, here is what was left for me, in case I wanted to add it to my new build.

A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you. - Semi-Auto Handguns

On the last visit, when I was there, the Rep and I talked about my future build. I didn't claim it was a Remy 700, but I did mention it was on a 700 Platform.

Truth be told, Lawton isn't the same, but the Rep was nice enough to remember and leave me a new recoil lug that is being marketed.

A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you. - Semi-Auto Handguns

There is a "theory" that a military sniper "needs" side Picatinny rails to allow them to field both an IR Laser and a "Painting" Device for Long Range Bomb runs. *shrug*

I am not of the S/S Platoon going deep behind enemy lines, so I can't speak for the snake eating folks. I know that JPBeck deals with them on a regular basis, perhaps he can add some insight.

Personally, I feel this "add-on" is a completely outrageous, over-priced add on that won't live much of a life in the aftermarket. Once this thing is on & "in place" there is no removing it without first removing the barrel. Something a sniper would prefer never to have done as it will completely mess with his zero and all his field calcs.

But, that is what is great about America - anyone can be wrong, on any given day.

Hope you enjoyed the peek behind the scenes to a product that will be out, and available for purchase, to all you good civilians in the near future....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-28-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Additional Thought

Old 09-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #20

FYI, I have reworked and updated some info on: "How you can get an automatic and correct Flash Sight Picture + ......"

And even when you can't see, or don't use the sights.

As a case in point, on 9/4 I was shooting at aerials (pop cans), and hitting them with a glock airsoft gun that I am not fond of due to its bulky grip.

It's not that hard.

The point is that what is said in the article works.

Could it work for You? Don't see why not.

Here is the info if you are interested:
www.pointshooting.com/autofsp.htm

Closed Thread