A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #1

Default A flaw of the 1911 could be fatal 4 you.

I am in the process of writing/rewriting an article on the 1911.

It has been met with severe criticism in some quarters, but that does not change the facts of the matter.

Here is a link to it: http://www.pointshooting.com/1911.htm

It deals with CQB situations, not target practice or range shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, having read your article from the link, I can see why it's been met with skepticism... LOL

I look forward to the rest of the 1911 owners here reviewing the work and giving their opinions. This should be interesting.

For me - if anyone is advocating using their pointing finger along the slide of any modern handgun, then pulling the trigger with your middle finger, thereby leaving two fingers and a thumb actually holding the grip of the weapon - You are out of your frickin' mind.

What do you think guys??

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-23-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #3

While this may have been tried as a shooting style after Lt. Col. Baron De Berenger came up with this half baked idea , it was obviously proven to not be the least bit more effective than holding the gun in the traditional manner if even as effective , after all it was tried in 1835 .

For one thing the mention of dueling pistols being used with this seems highly unlikely , have you ever picked up a dueling Pistol ?

If you do you will quickly see just how heavy they are and if you get ahold of an older period gun it will be even heavier due to the less refined metal process and thicker barrels .

This weight would dictate using three fingers on the grip area just to be able to effectively wield the weapon .

Gun makers have always strived to make their weapons as ergonomical and easy to use as they can , if this had been proved to be an effective shooting style one would think you could find pistols designed with some type of shelf or something to aide in placing a finger along the side of the weapon .

The name Lt. Col. Baron De Berenger sounds very European and aristocratic to me and God knows what kind of goofy ideas those people came up with .

My 1911's point just fine using the traditional hold but hey feel free to do whatever floats your boat !!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"And no doubt over the past "100 years" of army and police combat, the 1911 design flaw has resulted in countless injuries to and many deaths of our Armed Forces members and Police. "

Document just one incident and I will reconsider your current residence in the "Tacti-cool
Mall Ninja wannabe" file.

Did you EVER even ONCE consider that if the little bump of slide stop sticking out the
right side if a 1911 was an issue, SOMEONE in the last 97 years would have specified that it be ground flush?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #5

Entertaining read though!

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 08-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I could not take anything in that article seriously after I read the title- "A FLAW OF THE 1911 COULD BE FATAL 4 YOU". 4 is a number- is it really that much harder to type out for? It is only two more characters, and it adds credibility to the article from the beginning.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan

Old 08-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ah, but the question remains, do you find the "flaw" a reasonable and valid point of contention?

JD

Old 08-24-2008, 01:23 AM   #8

Well, I've read the article, and while I'm skeptical, weather permitting, I'm going to head to the range this week with a little over 1000 rounds of freshly loaded .45 ACP(practice) ammo and I'll give your technique an honest try, keeping in mind it's CQB and not my usual target shooting, police technique, rolling on the ground, getting dirty, changing mags, weak/strong hand stuff.

After I get back, strip & clean my 1911, and shower my bod, I'll let you know what I think.

Bob

Old 08-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #9
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I"ve been carrying a 1911 style handgun for over 30 years, and I'm NOT an expert anything, but that's one of the most foolish things I've ever heard of.

If you want to see how accurate you can point, tape a small laser pointer to your trigger finger and point at something while your hand is between chest and waist, then turn the laser on........ surprise !!

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #10

I imagined holding my friend's recently-acquired 1911 (.40 cal, some czech company).

The "traditional" hold reminds me of childhood games of Cops-and-Robbers.

The "second-finger-on-trigger" hold brings back memories of a few good dates...

The latter works well on Area 51 and Time Crises, but I'll stick to the old-school Cops-and-Robbers "normal" hold if push ever came to trigger pull.

Closed Thread