fixing an old bryco jennings nine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

fixing an old bryco jennings nine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Woah...them are close handles! Had I noticed two "Marlin's" I'd have used the OP's whole handle to avoid confusion.

Glad you caught my drift before firing back Marlinman.

Tack
Ya that could have been REALLY bad

Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #12

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hey, any gun is better than no gun in a gun fight. I guess I have bought a dozen or so Jennings, Bryco or what ever name they go by for less than $30 or $40 just to turn them at the next Police Buy Back Event. Heck, I am not embarrassed to do so, I normally get a $100 grocery gift card for each one. That's a 60 to 70% profit on each and it takes a POS, IMO, off the streets.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i would not shoot it often. if not at all. it was my first pistol i bought with my own money. and i just dont want it to be broken. i would only shoot it if it was all i had available. i dont want to get rid of it... i bought it as a whole pistol years ago, and ended up with a cracked frame i destroyed the frame beyond ever being able to function again and built it from spare parts that i had around... the only thing i didnt have was the sear assembly. i have not loaded it since it broke. if i do get it fixed i am gonna take it to a gunsmith and ask if its remotely safe to fire. and if so i will put it away... just to say i have built a gun. it has sentimental value to me. its a first of two things to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

guns are more to me then weapons. they are a passion of my life. even if i am not regularly shooting them. this may sound crazy but they keep me company, make me feel safe. liberals dont get it. i dread the day that they become banned and my life long passion is outlawed. i somehow attached myself to firearms, and every gun i own and have ever owned i take apart and memorize what makes them tick. i also hear alot of people bashing certain makes and models. i would buy one to see how to improve it. my life long dream is to become a gunsmith and design a firearm. the way this world is going its not likely. thats why i am trying to familiarize myself to all sorts of guns so when the russians decide to invade i can fix firearms to keep people safe. alot of gun haters have no idea what its like to have a passion like this. its not anything that can be put into words... when people bash guns like bryco or rohm, i think to myself ill bet i could make it work. thats just the tip of the iceberg on how i feel about the passion we all share.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #15

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner
guns are more to me then weapons. they are a passion of my life. even if i am not regularly shooting them. this may sound crazy but they keep me company, make me feel safe. liberals dont get it. i dread the day that they become banned and my life long passion is outlawed. i somehow attached myself to firearms, and every gun i own and have ever owned i take apart and memorize what makes them tick. i also hear alot of people bashing certain makes and models. i would buy one to see how to improve it. my life long dream is to become a gunsmith and design a firearm. the way this world is going its not likely. thats why i am trying to familiarize myself to all sorts of guns so when the russians decide to invade i can fix firearms to keep people safe. alot of gun haters have no idea what its like to have a passion like this. its not anything that can be put into words... when people bash guns like bryco or rohm, i think to myself ill bet i could make it work. thats just the tip of the iceberg on how i feel about the passion we all share.
I always have something like this. First it was watches. Collected large dive watches. Would even wear them to bed. My poor girlfriend's head got whacked more than a plastic mole in a toddler's arcade mall. Even thumped myself a few times forgetting about them. Once I took a chunk out of a doorjam large enough to fit your palm in, loosened the rest so it was flopping from the top. Also did knives, but that faded fast when I realized how much I hated finding a place to carry one.

I'm with ya on the anti-follower tip. I go the exact route everyone else talks smack about, just to spite them and prove the norm is wrong. I hate trend and popularity. Hahaha
marlin-owner Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #16

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I liked my JA-Nine. About 2k flawleesly fed and spat rounds through it until I gave it to my older bro for a plinker. I'd go for it happily and use as a truck backup confidently as well.

The snobs will slobber all over themselves to preach what they read, and squeeky wheels are the only ones that get greased, just keep that in mind. Experience is the only word I listen to, but can you really take the word of someone on the internet? Perponderance of evidence and a logical evaluation m'friend.

That said, even the guys who collect and fully endorse SNS guns, would recommend something else first. However, given the situation, you're not debating what gun to buy, you're trying to figure out if a gun is worth the bucks to fix up.

I say to you this, IT'S $18!!!!!!! Just do it dood! If for nothing else than a beater plinking piece.
I saw ja nine detonate at the range. Why would you join a forum if not for others opinions?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2921 Times on 1720 Posts

Trigger actuated grenade.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #18

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Hopefully your work on the gun makes it a reliable shooter. Try Numrich for parts, their prices are usually good and their service is excellent.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers.htm

Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #19

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

I have owned 5 Jennings over the years. The metal that they are made of is part of the problem. They do not hold up to a lot of full power rounds. Two of the ones that I had, had plastic caps on the back of the firing pins. They were supposed to show you that the gun was cocked. They flew out of the back of the guns after 2 or 3 trips to the range. I have seen them with cracked frames. I have also seen large gouges in the underside of the slides. I am not afraid of the 22. I dont feel it has enough power to really grenade the gun. I do not feel that way about the 9mm.

If I did not have a gun, and that was all I could afford, I would buy the 22. Some people say save up for something better. Some people would need two years to save up for a Jennings. I understand. I have been there.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #20

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Marlin

I usually jump all over members who trash another members gun but in this case I must agree with the advice above.

Please don't take it as any desire to insult something you own but rather as legitimate concern for your safety.

Both Byrco and Jennings are know for catastrophic failure and injuries to the shooter.

A hybrid of the two would scare me more than Rosie O'donnel working the stripper pole with a spoon in each hand...

Seriously buddy, the few bucks you could sell it for is not worth the guilt when it blows up on the next guys face or the bad press for all gun makers everytime one of thes things decides to bite the hand that feeds it.

Tack
I must ask you to prove that a shooter has been injured by a failure of either weapon. There was a successful lawsuit against Bryco because someone pointed a gun at his sons face and pulled the trigger. The only proof I have seen is internet opinion and bull manure. Intentional failures such as screwing a bolt into the barrel and pulling the trigger do not count.

Poor people need weapons even more than us that are more fortunate. Quite often a Jennings or a Hi Point is all they can afford. Making up tales or spreading bad information is wrong on so many levels.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/