Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   fixing an old bryco jennings nine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/fixing-old-bryco-jennings-nine-76346/)

marlin-owner 11-14-2012 03:30 AM

fixing an old bryco jennings nine

so i have an old bryco jennings nine with a jiminez frame and a bryco jennings nine slide. kinda frankensteined together with spare parts. all it needs is the sear assembly and the sear spring. on e-gunparts.com its about 18 dollars. is it worth it? what if it works and can be a beater truck gun? any info will help. i want to fix it. it was my first pistol.... what do you all think???

Marlinman 11-14-2012 03:32 AM

Ummmmm pitch it far and hard? Ya sounds good to me since both of them companies are individually on the most common fail list for pistols.

zx9rt1 11-14-2012 03:38 AM

How much do you have in it so far?

canebrake 11-14-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlin-owner (Post 1013621)
so i have an old bryco jennings nine with a jiminez frame and a bryco jennings nine slide. kinda frankensteined together with spare parts. all it needs is the sear assembly and the sear spring. on e-gunparts.com its about 18 dollars. is it worth it? what if it works and can be a beater truck gun? any info will help. i want to fix it. it was my first pistol.... what do you all think???

I think that question should answer any doubt as to the value you put on your life!

My life is worth a boat-load more than $18. http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...s/1_cowboy.gif

Marlinman 11-14-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake

I think that question should answer any doubt as to the value you put on your life!

My life is worth a boat-load more than $18.

A couple fingers at the very least is worth more than that

Jpyle 11-14-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Toss it and buy a Hi-Point if you want a truck gun. Reliable enough, tough as nails and 100% warranted for life.

Tackleberry1 11-14-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Marlin

I usually jump all over members who trash another members gun but in this case I must agree with the advice above.

Please don't take it as any desire to insult something you own but rather as legitimate concern for your safety.

Both Byrco and Jennings are know for catastrophic failure and injuries to the shooter.

A hybrid of the two would scare me more than Rosie O'donnel working the stripper pole with a spoon in each hand...:D

Seriously buddy, the few bucks you could sell it for is not worth the guilt when it blows up on the next guys face or the bad press for all gun makers everytime one of thes things decides to bite the hand that feeds it.

Tack

Marlinman 11-14-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Marlin

I usually jump all over members who trash another members gun but in this case I must agree with the advice above.

Please don't take it as any desire to insult something you own but rather as legitimate concern for your safety.

Both Byrco and Jennings are know for catastrophic failure and injuries to the shooter.

A hybrid of the two would scare me more than Rosie O'donnel working the stripper pole with a spoon in each hand...:D

Seriously buddy, the few bucks you could sell it for is not worth the guilt when it blows up on the next guys face or the bad press for all gun makers everytime one of thes things decides to bite the hand that feeds it.

Tack

This is the bad part of us havin a similar handle-i thought you was jumpin on me there for a minute tack;)

Rick1967 11-14-2012 04:34 AM

I had a Jennings nine. I sold it. Never looked back. I still own a Jennings J-22. It took me about a year to decide to spend $4 on a part to fix the 22. I dont shoot it much. But it was a gun I bought when I was poor. I keep it to simply remind me of the long road I have been down.

You say yours was your first gun. If it is a situation like mine I understand. If you are talking about just not wanting it to be broken I understrand that feeling. However if you are wanting to fix it and use it regularly I wouldnt waste the $18. Go to a pawn shop and spend $75 on a used High Point.

It will last a long time and you wont be all pissed at it because it jams every third shot.

Tackleberry1 11-14-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1013684)
This is the bad part of us havin a similar handle-i thought you was jumpin on me there for a minute tack;)

Woah...them are close handles! Had I noticed two "Marlin's" I'd have used the OP's whole handle to avoid confusion.

Glad you caught my drift before firing back Marlinman. ;)

Tack