Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   first time handgun buyer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-time-handgun-buyer-58386/)

MichaelBarton 02-21-2012 03:45 AM

first time handgun buyer

im looking to purchase a handgun. i am thinking about a Springfield XD .40 or a Glock 23. any opinions or reviews?

Charyoutree 02-21-2012 04:39 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I have no experience with the XD. While I've not owned a 23, my primary handgun is a 22 (larger framed .40) and I can attest that Glocks are very user-friendly to learn with. The absolute best thing you old do on this decision is go to our local un store and handle both of them. Ideally, rent both at the range and try them out.

Some people think they're ugly...but IMO that's just crazy talk. They are excellent tools,are durable as all get-out, and will work through jut about any abuse you can dish out to it.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

Quentin 02-21-2012 04:56 AM

I agree with Charyoutree, handle them and try them out if you can. I like the Glock better than the XD and have the G22, G23 and G27. Any of those would be good choices with the G23 just about ideal. Try to handle both Gen 3 and Gen 4.

primer1 02-21-2012 05:37 AM

While you're handling and ogeling try the smith m&p. Many swear by it.

NvRbanArms 02-21-2012 06:14 AM

Smith Wesson is a good manufacturer. But for some reason I do not like the m&p line. I think it's the trigger. Just don't fit me. But that just my opinion. Try em and see what u like. I prefer glocks, Hk (too expensive though). And sig.

Delmonte67 02-21-2012 10:12 AM

I've owned alot of handguns over the years, The one that never leaves my hip for my CCW is my "baby" Glock 27 .40 cal. This little powerhouse is easy to conceal (and smaller than the XD) and is deadly accurate!!! Check this out-
Sent from my iPod touch using FirearmsTalk

Oblivion9 02-21-2012 06:34 PM

Glock vs XD.

Comes down to grip angle and safety.

XD has extra safety features that are intrinsic. Grip safety was a huge plus for me. It negates any chance of accidental discharge while you reholster as long as you don't hold the grip while doing so. Most glock ad are done putting gun away.

Striker indicator and raised chamber indicator are nice extras but not deal breakers.

I guess plus for glock is bore axis...but ill take extra safety every time. Plus 1911 grip angle much better for me.

partdeux 02-21-2012 07:23 PM

go to the range and rent several guns. The one that feels best is the one you should buy. I like the XDM over the Glock, hated the M&P.

bones72 02-21-2012 10:33 PM

I love love m&p like xdm's as well glock great gun but I do not like the grip angle AT ALL !!!!! Imo just saying :))))

Delmonte67 02-22-2012 01:06 AM

I agree I don't care for m&p much, liked my buddies xp alot, I have got really good at the range with my G27 so it's what I prefer to carry for total reliability. It's like shopping for anything- like shoes, try them out by renting at the range, and see what feels good! Good luck bro!

Sent from my iPod touch using FirearmsTalk