first time gun buyer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > first time gun buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first time gun buyer

Looking to by a pistol and thinking 45,40 along those lines looking for advice on what to get

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #2

Rent the guns and try them out. I carry a 1911 in 45acp. I also had a XDm in 9mm, but would like to think the 45 is just as a fantastic version of it. My brother swears by his Glock. IMHO, springfield armory, sig, Glock, rock island are brands that I have used/carry and would trust them with my life.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Ditto on the trying them out. The pistol that feels, balances & shoots right for me may not fit you. Personally, I like Bersas because, while they are not the prettiest one in the safe, they are good quality & reliable for little $$$. I also am addicted to 1911s & they can be a bit more expensive.

As far as caliber, my first pistol was a .40S&W (Bersa) but if I had been able to find one in .45, I'd have bought it instead. I finally had my LGS find a .45 for me. The .40 has a snappier recoil than the .45, so it'd be a matter of preference between the two, for you.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also have a xdm In 9mm and love it. You will have to go to your LGS and hold and shoot some! 1911's pull alot of weight around here though (because they are amazing) so plan on checking some out.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #5

Yeah I just join a rod and gun club and my buddy brought his s&w 9mm just to get me back in the swing of things. I enjoyed it very much. So I should stick to s&w , sig glock?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobichaud
Yeah I just join a rod and gun club and my buddy brought his s&w 9mm just to get me back in the swing of things. I enjoyed it very much. So I should stick to s&w , sig glock?
Springfield, glock, s&w, sig, they all offer great weapon systems. A word of advice, take your time and buy what YOU want not what someone else says is good. Oh and in the end you will own alot more than one... It's just the way this hobby goes.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

If your looking for a good caliber to shoot for fun, I suggest the .45 ACP.
If your looking for a home defense caliber, I suggest the .380 ACP.
If your looking for a CCW caliber, I suggest the .22 auto, Phoenix HP22.
Basiclly, I suggest to get all three and back them up with a 12 gauge pump.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6
If your looking for a good caliber to shoot for fun, I suggest the .45 ACP.
If your looking for a home defense caliber, I suggest the .380 ACP.
If your looking for a CCW caliber, I suggest the .22 auto, Phoenix HP22.
Basiclly, I suggest to get all three and back them up with a 12 gauge pump.
Ok...is this a serious post? No offense but I'm confused.

Fun to shoot...9mm because it's cheap ammo and very low recoil. .45 ammo is expensive to shoot often.

.380 for home defense? Seriously? Why such a small caliber? Only thing I use a .380 for is pocket carry or an ankle rig on duty as a BUG. My home defense gun is a .45 loaded with 230 grain PDX1 loads.

CCW...a .22? Why? I want a gun that's going to leave a big hole and cause as much damage as possible. I usually carry a 9mm or .45 loaded with PDX1's.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03

Fun to shoot...9mm because it's cheap ammo and very low recoil. .45 ammo is expensive to shoot often.

.380 for home defense? Seriously? Why such a small caliber? Only thing I use a .380 for is pocket carry or an ankle rig on duty as a BUG. My home defense gun is a .45 loaded with 230 grain PDX1 loads.

CCW...a .22? Why? I want a gun that's going to leave a big hole and cause as much damage as possible. I usually carry a 9mm or .45 loaded with PDX1's.
I'm just as confused as you... Go check out some sig 1911's. They have been getting alot of positive attention recently.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03

Ditto his post

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James