Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Range Visit Today: 1911 vs. XD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Range Visit Today: 1911 vs. XD

I didn't fire an XD-45ACP, but I sure thought that's what I wanted, until a friend let me fire 100 rounds through his two Kimber 1911 45ACPs at a local private indoor range today. I am a newbie and my first impression was the 1911 was LOUD, and maybe jumpy, but not bad on kick. Very aim-able and accurate (I had no trouble achieving 5" spread from 25 feet per clip, not bad considering I haven't fired a handgun in over 24 years). The trigger was sweet, with just the right amount of travel.

So, not having tried an XD but still wanting one, which should I buy: 1911 or XD? And will dropping to a 4" barrel in the XD kill my accuracy THAT much compared to the 1911's 5-incher? noise level? jumpiness? Flash? kick? TO those who've fired both, how do these compare (XD v. 1911)?

My purpose: basic HD, and CC/protection. I won't be a range rat any more than necessary to keep up proficiency.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have fired both, and have owned both (still own the XD). The 1911 is one of the best designs in the world of the sidearm. As long as your stay with the quality brands, you cannot go wrong with the 1911.

The XD lends itself as the pistol that Glock wishes it could be. It took the Glock idea, and made 100% improvements to it. Everything is higher quality in my opinion, and it shows. The weapon is very reliable, and will serve you well. If you look at the details of the XD, you'll see a few design elements that were inspired directly from the 1911 platform.

It's a tough decision, but you will be good to go either way.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #3

I've shot XD's Glocks and all sorts of .45's. I now own a Colt Commander .45 (as everyone around here wil readily tell you)

While the XD is a great pistol (I was impressed by all of them that I've shot), once I shot a 1911, I was really surprised at just how good-shooting a weapon it is. I can see why, historically, it's proven so popular and successful. The first seven shots I fired through my Commander were as accurate as I'd ever fired in the thousands I've shot through my Glocks and several XD's and other pistols I've been handed over the years.

If it's my money, I'd go with the 1911-type pistol. Like has already been said, either way you'll do just fine and it comes down to budget and personal preference, but if it's me, it's 1911 every time.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #4

Decision made: XD-45 for me.

UPDATE: I took skullcrusher's good advice & went to a public range today and rented an XD-45 ACP tactical (5” barrel) , some range time, and bought a pack of 50 rounds. There’s a good reason they had ammo in stock: the 50 rounds of 45 auto was $37!!!

Anyway, it was love at first shot! Compared to the 1911 it seemed noticeably quieter and somewhat smoother-shooting. As good or better than the 1911: smoothness, trigger feel, loading and operation. Minor nit: it seemed to have slightly more flash than I recall with the 1911s yesterday. It was definitely lighter (but not so much when stuffed with 13 rounds), but still felt very balanced.

Here's the key: I felt that I could shoot the thing all day! I went thru the entire 50-round box in no time!

My very first shot with it was ½” above the 1” bulls-eye from 30 feet; keep in mind that I haven’t touched a handgun between 1985 and yesterday, and I'd say that's a good sign. 50-foot accuracy was good also (I need to practice tho!).

The XD's trump card is its 13-round clip (plus room for one more in the chamber). THAT’s a nice feature to have!

So my decision is made – sort of. I definitely want an XD-45 ACP, but I am not 100% set on the 4” barrel model, after seeing how the 3” barrel tosses all accuracy to the wind, and after enjoying the 5” barrel this afternoon (and yesterday with the 1911s). Range Guy said he has a 4" XD and didn't notice any dip in accuracy when he switched from the 5".

Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #5

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Do XD's have an external safety on them? I would think that is something very important in a CC situation. Chambered with safety on would be much quicker than unchambered no external safety and I can't imagine carrying chambered with no external safety.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Do XD's have an external safety on them?
YES, there is an ambidexterous external safety per Springfield's web site (pdf of the owner's manual). This is in addition to the grip safety and the "Ultra Safety Assurance" trigger system.

However, I did not seek out that safety button today, nor did I try out its operation. I simply wanted to see how firing an XD-45ACP felt, and how accurate I could be with it.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Save your pennies and buy a good 1911 or look for a used one. If you buy an XD, you'll always have the 1911 experience in the back of your mind and you'll always kick yourself for not buying one. Pretty soon, you'll be having dreams of caressing a 1911 and then you'll cheat on the XD. Shortly after that, you'll trade your XD in for the down on a 1911.

Start from the top, work your way down.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Trying to compare an XD45 which is a single model by a single manufacturer to a 1911 which is a design standard with many Manufacturers and models, ranging from junk to standard issue in Valhalla, is not a fair comparison for either gun. They are also two very different guns in function, feel and price.

A 1911 can range from a few hundred to a few thousand, where you can spend $1k and have a totally customized XD including the cost of the gun.

The triggers are not comparable in any way.

I have a bone stock XD45 as well as a semi custom 1911 and I would not give up either for the other. I feel they are both prime examples of excellence in their respective design.

I am a strong proponent of the XD but I am surprised to hear your rental XD felt smoother to shoot than your buddies Kimber(s) Either your buddy takes very poor care of his guns or you need to shoot the two at the same time. My XD45 (as well as a XDM9 and XD40 I have had the opportunity to shoot) is a dream to shoot but in no way does it compare to the experience of firing a well tuned 1911. Even with a trigger job an XD45 is going to be hard pressed to match the feel of an off the shelf Kimber IMO.

That said- Unless you can find a screaming deal on a used, quality 1911, it is my opinion that you are going to get more gun for short money out of the XD.

Ultimately, as a carry gun, the one that feels the absolute best to YOU is the one you should buy and it should be your goal to shoot it as often as possible, not as little as possible to stay proficient.

Buy both.

There is my unsolicited $.02

Last edited by Slawth; 06-30-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If the XD feels better in your hands, and you like it more, then stick with the XD.

Glad to hear that you are coming to a good decision.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #10

I really like my XD45 Service model, shoots great and i like mag the capacity.

"In God We Trust"