First Purchase Advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Purchase Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Purchase Advice

I'm looking to purchase my first pistol in the next week or so. I'm thinking that I need a 9mm due to the cost of ammo, etc. I've narrowed the search down to 2 striker fired models (SW M&P and XD(M) 3.8) and the SIG 229. I really like the DA/SA aspect of the SIG and the decocker.

The think I like about the XD(M) is that it's a compact (13+1) but it comes with the extended mag (19+1). I shot the M&P a couple of times and liked it so it made the cut.

Would the 229 be a good conceal carry choice? Is there any advice more experienced shooters can give me with these 3 pistols?

Also, I think I'll have enough left in the budget for a second pistol. I really like the SIG 220 (.45 ACP). I shot the regular sized model last weekend but I noticed that they also have a "Carry" model. I looked at the specs and it didn't look significantly smaller. Can you successfully carry the full sized 220? If not, is there much difference in felt recoil between the two?

Thanks for any tips/advice you can provide to this novice!

Regards - Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All three of your options are great guns. You won't be disappointed with any of them or your choice in 9mm as ammo is cheap and plentiful. I personally prefer the sig, I just don't care for polymer guns. That being said I own an xd, and a glock 17.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Picking a gun is like picking a woman........only you know what turns you on about them. If you like it, buy it.....the gun that is...

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on the Sig 220 Carry vs. standard?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #5

As others have said, all three would be great choices. In the end, it really comes down to what feels the best for you.

As far as getting a second handgun goes, I would hold off on that. Being as this will be your first handgun, instead of getting a second handgun, I would get a couple thousand rounds of ammo and some extra mags.

If you wanna shoot steel cased Wolf brand ammo (which is all I shoot at the range), you can get 1,000 rounds of 9mm for around $200 and $12 shipping from www.aimsurplus.com, which means you could get 2,000 rounds plus some magazines, targets, and pay for a few range fees for the cost of the second pistol.

This in my opinion would be a much better appropriation of your funds for the time being. Shooting a handgun well is not easy, and it takes a Lot of practice to become proficient. I'd rather have one handgun that I could shoot well as opposed to two that I could shoot moderately with.

Just my opinion though.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 652 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 3677

Only you can decide which one to get. Like the others have said, they are all great choices. If there is a range that rents these, you might want to shoot them for yourself, and then make your decision. Better to spend the time and money doing that than buy one of them and realizing you don't like it.

Also, I agree with FCross, buy one, extra mags, a good holster (or 2, you know, gotta change it up every now and then) and alot of ammo. And practice.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 652 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 3677

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowForce View Post
I carry a full size Glock 20 (10mm), concealed using a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I'm 5'9, 155 lbs. So, unless you are much smaller than that, I think you'd be ok carrying the Sig 220. However, it's a matter of choice, and it is yours, not ours.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowForce
I have not shot the carry, but do own a standard P220. I cannot think of a better quality pistol out there...my opinion of course. It can be concealed but will most likely require a cover garment or some type of pretty loose shirt and an IWB holster. I usually carry a Glock 19 or M&P compact .40 because they're so easy to hide. I have been known to bust out the full size Sig, Glocks, and XD's during colder months due to heavier clothing, which makes them easier to conceal. I would definitely recommended the Sig P220 for home defense or anything else that doesn't require keeping it hidden.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Last edited by USMC-03; 03-08-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

When it comes to shot placement and return to target, weight is your friend.

It's why I favor steel guns.

With that said, you will understand my suggestions:

Don't buy until you have had a chance to shoot the following two pistols.

In 9mm, and my choice for EDC is the Browning Hi-Power, The King of 9's.

And in .45 ACP, the 1911 in the Commander model.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Thanks guys! Lots of good advice here.

Fred, I hear you on the purchase more ammo option. I do have a fairly decent amount built up for range trips. For example, I've been stocking up on the Federal 9's from Walmart (100 pack) when they go on sale, etc. Found a good deal on Blazer 9's too.

One thing I failed to mention is I would seriously consider getting the .22 conversion kit for the P220. That way, I could easily swap the barrel out at the range and shoot many rounds of .22 at very little cost.

Bob