Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   first pistol!?! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-pistol-8423/)

youngun87 11-14-2008 03:15 AM

first pistol!?!

Hello all. my name is eli and i am almost 21yrs (whoo hoo!!). anyways i am looking to get my first pistol on my birthday and have been looking around for the best quality for its buck in guns. right now my top pick out of the ones i have looked at is the Ruger P944th. I was wondering what pistols are reliable and very dependable. my main purposes for the gun are self-defense in home and truck, while also having it on hip while working and hunting at our ranch in Leakey, TX. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Just a lil FYI, the top of my price range would be around $700 and i would prefer a full size (no sub-compacts) and hopefully a .40 caliber. Thanks again for all of your help and info.

-Eli-

freefall 11-14-2008 05:37 AM

In my humble opinion it's hard to beat a good .357 revolver, I would buy a Ruger GP100. I'm already into Security Sixes, so won't follow my own advice, but a good .357 will out shoot and out range any autopistol being made today. And cheaper.

sgtdeath66 11-14-2008 08:05 AM

for your price range i would personally do with a glock or a hk usp both are fine guns that will prove themselves in the field as well as around town. and you can get both for less than 700 usually

Mark F 11-14-2008 10:50 AM

The price range you have available is more than enough to get you a lot of choices. Rather than piddle with internet "opinions", go try some hands-on at a gun shop AND a gun range. If you can, try some out on the gun range, and see how they work for you. Also, there's nothing wrong with previously owned guns. take a look at them too.

hillbilly68 11-14-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 50562)
The price range you have available is more than enough to get you a lot of choices. Rather than piddle with internet "opinions", go try some hands-on at a gun shop AND a gun range. If you can, try some out on the gun range, and see how they work for you. Also, there's nothing wrong with previously owned guns. take a look at them too.

And there we have a great answer for you. Keep your options open, you may be surprised what you like.

Dillinger 11-14-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 50562)

+1. Don't rely on us, we don't know anything about you or what you like. :p

Go to a gun rental place, shoot a few that YOU like and then come back with some questions about three or four that FIT YOU well and that YOU are interested in.

What I like could be Strawberry and you a die hard Rocky Road guy.

JD

robocop10mm 11-14-2008 02:27 PM

If you are looking for a first and only handgun, it would depend on what "feels good" to you. Rentals are a very good choice to insure you make a sound purchase. IMHO get the biggest caliber you can shoot well. If that means a 9mm, OK. There is nothing wrong with a 9mm. It is shot placement that counts.

If this is for hunting or is likely to be used as a hunting back up gun or you are looking to have this handgun be the basis for future purchases, buy a good .357 Mag revolver with a 4-6" barrel. I think the .357 wheelgun should be the foundation of your handgun collection.

Smith 19, 66, 686 are preferred. Ruger GP100, Security six, etc are good choices also. If you can find an older Colt Trooper Mk V they are well built and reasonable. The imports tend to have spotty reputations. QC can be hit or miss. Stick with "good old American steel".

Mark F 11-14-2008 03:32 PM

Call a few of your buddies... I bet several of them have pistols. Offer them a box or two of ammo and go shooting with them. You may find out what you like and don't like real quick. But I have to agree with ROBOCOP10MM, good ol' AMERICAN STEEL is un-beatable.

tbill 11-14-2008 04:26 PM

I, too. go with the advice to try rental before buying. Now, having said that. try a Glock 22 or 23. .40 is a versatile caliber, not a lot of recoil and a 17 round magazine (get em before Obama does) gives you quite a bit of shooting before reloading. Add Speer Gold Dot rounds in it and your about a well-armed as you can be with a pistol. Easy to clean and tough as nails and Glock will fix most anything if you can manage to break something. Happy shooting!

matt g 11-14-2008 04:44 PM

$700 can still get you one of these:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...100_0684_1.jpg

It has been nothing but reliable and accurate. In well over 12k rounds, I've never had a failure to feed or fire. The only malfunction that I've seen from it was a stove pipe due to my wife's inept handling of it.