first pistol - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should go to your local range, and just ask to hold some of the fire arms they have. Find a gun that feels great in your hand, and then see if they have the same models up for rent. If they do rent one and fire maybe 50 -100 or so rounds through them to see if you like it.

I really love Berettas and Sigs. The Sig might be a bit out of your price range, but they are really comfortable.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #42

I can tell you where not to start! My first pistol was a Hi-Point .40... such a ****ty pistol

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Go to a rental range

It's a lot cheaper to rent a few guns and several boxes of ammo in the caliber you think you want, then to by one without shooting it and not enjoy it. and the hi point haters need to stop. These are American made have a lifetime warranty against anything. I bought my wife a used 380 from a pawn shop, wouldn't eject properly called them, sent it back. They fixed it for free and included 2 new mags, she loves that gun over all her others. I carry a taurus 24/7 in 40 daily. I knew i wanted a 40sw just not sure what kind. Went to a gun range and fired all the big brands. Finally settled on the Taurus. IF you don't have a gun rental place near you go to a range on a busy day and talk to a few people. Most folks are willing to let you shoot a few rounds to get a feel for a weapon.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #44

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadkins View Post
Hi. I'm looking to get my first pistol. I really don't know where to start. I know I want to use it for target shooting and for personal protection as well. Any suggestions? I've shot the beretta m9 before and loved it.
Handguns are a very subjective and personal thing. It would be foolish for one man to tell another what he should get. Personally, I'm not fond of the M9. Not because of any objective problem with the gun; it is a decent pistol. It's just not right for me, personally.

I recommend you fire as many pistols as possible before settling on one. You should fire Glocks, Sigs, HKs, XDs, and every other common pistol that you can. Try to compare guns of the same caliber and size so you have less variables to consider.

If you're going to carry, you should consider that the size of the M9 is right on the edge of what many would consider appropriate for CCW. It's possible but maybe a little too big for you to carry every day. If there is a doubt, go with a smaller handgun.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #45

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden

Handguns are a very subjective and personal thing. It would be foolish for one man to tell another what he should get. Personally, I'm not fond of the M9. Not because of any objective problem with the gun; it is a decent pistol. It's just not right for me, personally.

I recommend you fire as many pistols as possible before settling on one. You should fire Glocks, Sigs, HKs, XDs, and every other common pistol that you can. Try to compare guns of the same caliber and size so you have less variables to consider.

If you're going to carry, you should consider that the size of the M9 is right on the edge of what many would consider appropriate for CCW. It's possible but maybe a little too big for you to carry every day. If there is a doubt, go with a smaller handgun.
I agree with him

Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive. Everyone's choice is always better than the next guy. Find a caliber you feel comfortable with then find the model that feels right in your hands. I would also recommend a basic firearms class at your local range.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #47

Agree with the comments on try first, try many, take your time and get something that is comfortable for you. Also, training is worth four times the investment of time/money, just do it. You can't go wrong with some formal instruction and practice, practice, practice. Especially if you are thinking about carrying.

That being said, having shot primarly 1911's (.45) for about 20 years, I've recently moved to the polymer pistols, Glocks & S&W M&P. I also was a died in the wool .45 bigot. However, I was recently taught that a hit with a 9mm is worth a lot more than several misses with a .45. Right now, my primary range/competition guns are S&W M&Ps in .45, .40 and 9mm. Can switch between them with ease and they all just work. I am not a revolver guy, but my son seems to be. That is also something you can try and figure out, that is another very personal preference. I would shoot a Glock, but the trigger housing of the M&P (basically same gun) fits my finger better.

If after you fire several handguns, you still are not sure, check with some local training resources and see what they say. My son and I took a defensive pistol class this summer and shot 2700 rounds each in 4 days. We both started with our 1911's and finished with the Glock and M&P. Also, that facility only rents Glock 17s, which says something. For competition (IPSC/IDPA) I would prefer a double stack mag setup as they are easier for me to reload quickly. For carrying, I want the smallest most comfortable 9 or 40 I can get. Still searching for a carry 9 I like right now, but have a Sig 239 in .40 that I haul around. Another point that was made and makes sense, is to carry/practice with the same gun. However, shooting some of the competitions with a single stack compact gun would be challenging.

Good luck, one nice thing is the availability of forums like this to get ideas. And remember, these are just our individual ideas, your mileage may vary and you need to get something that works for you.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #48

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My first was a ruger mark 3 22/45. I love to shoot, and wanted to learn the basics. If you want to do a lot of shooting and you're new to handguns I reccomend something chambered in .22 lr. Next purchase will be a Springfield 1911, now that I have a gun that I can shoot all day without breaking the bank.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A great choice for your first pistol would be a full size or compact SIG P250 in any of the 4 calibers offered.

SIG P320 FULL SIZE .45ACP

Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #50

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASHER1968 View Post
A great choice for your first pistol would be a full size or compact SIG P250 in any of the 4 calibers offered.
IF the pistol feels comfortable. IF the OP can hit well with it. IF the OP prefers a DA/SA trigger.

And that's just considering any DA/SA pistol. Recent QA problems at Sig make the question a bit more complicated. The bottom line is that the OP needs to try several different pistols and decide for himself.