Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   First Kel Tec (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-kel-tec-38457/)

Chapman87 02-14-2011 01:18 PM

First Kel Tec

Just placed the order for my first P11. I got the blued/black model for $235 shipped. I also got a grip extension and a pachmayr slip on grip.

I read on another board that kel tec doesnt advise using the steel guide rods in these guns. And they cause abnormal wear to the frame of the pistol and really serve no purpose. Anyone have any experience with this?

Range report and pictures to follow soon!

BigByrd47119 02-14-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapman87 (Post 445048)
Just placed the order for my first P11. I got the blued/black model for $235 shipped. I also got a grip extension and a pachmayr slip on grip.

I read on another board that kel tec doesnt advise using the steel guide rods in these guns. And they cause abnormal wear to the frame of the pistol and really serve no purpose. Anyone have any experience with this?

Range report and pictures to follow soon!

The steel rod was originally designed for the KT P-40.

Pachmayr slip-on is a good choice! Many go with a Hogue, but its all the same in the end.

Great price on that by the way! I payed $250 for a very lightly used (50 rnds?) in a face to face sale.

Those little P-11's are real cannons. Many refer to them as a "shoot little, carry often" pistol. Trigger pull can be tough to get used to, even if your a DA revolver guy. Get some snap-caps and practise that trigger pull often. Make sure to also google P-11 fluff-and-buff. This will help reduse the break-in time that KT advertises from 200 rnds to more like 75-100 rnds.

Good luck!

Nicodemus 02-15-2011 03:13 PM

You'll find all you want to know about your P11 here:
KTOG Forum - Index

JTJ 02-15-2011 04:14 PM

I had one that I beat to death. Over 6k rounds with no jams. Only failure was a bad primer. I had a very cheap source of ammo at the time. I traded it off for a PF9 which I did not like. I traded it off on Ruger SR9c for my wife and got another slightly used P11 for $200 with 2 mags and finger hooks. The trigger on this one is not too bad, about the same as a double action revolver. I have only put a few hundred rounds through it but no failures with fmj or hp. Some of the S&W 15 rnd mags will fit. I believe the ones for the 5906 but could be wrong.

Chapman87 02-15-2011 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I am sure it will become very useful!

Sounds like this little gun and become a pretty good tool.

Chapman87 02-23-2011 10:34 PM

While looking to order some things for my kel tec I came across a 20rd magazine, has anyone used this?

BigByrd47119 02-24-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapman87 (Post 452068)
While looking to order some things for my kel tec I came across a 20rd magazine, has anyone used this?

I believe you are referring to a S&W magazine. I don't know what model as I have never been interested in making the gun any bigger than it is. However, if it does not come with the part that covers the magazine where it extends beyond the mag well, you can find them here and there. They make for a lot of fun at the range I hear.

ajbeau 02-24-2011 02:51 PM

I love my p11, had a minor problem ,sent it back to Keltek and two weeks later, back better than new! Over 600 rounds so far NO problems. It is definetley not a target pistol, but for up close self defense its okay for me.