First handgun purchase...need help picking between two handguns. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First handgun purchase...need help picking between two handguns.

View Poll Results: Which handgun would you buy?
Beretta Px4 5 12.50%
Walther P99 9 22.50%
Neither 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ok, first I voted "neither" on the poll, as I take this question to mean "which one should YOU buy."

As usual, I find myself agreeing with Dillinger, in addition to a couple others who posted.

First, not enough information from you. What are you going to use it for? I don't mean robbing banks and such like Dillinger would . Are you going to use it for concealed carry? Target practice? Home protection? How many rounds do you want to be able to carry.

Second, how familiar are you with semi-auto handguns? I'm not making fun of you here. As a former Law Enforcement Officer I carried a Colt 1911 .45 locked and cocked in the holster (made the boss and range Officer crazy), but NEVER an accidental discharge in over 20 years (the first 8 were Revolver days, and none there either).

Third, what caliber are you looking at? I wouldn't think of carrying less than .40 cal. As an old .45 ACP guy at heart, that's all I own, except for the 2 revolvers I had early on plus my last acquisition, a Taurus "Night Judge" that shoots the .45 Colt or .410 shot shells (hey, my wife wanted it ). ANY round will do the job. I'm personally not real fond of the 9mm after a situation where I scored two good hits and the bad guy stayed on his feet long enough to get to me with a large knife before collapsing (he lived, and is now a guest of the State). You want a round that will STOP your assailant NOW, and keep him there, living or not, and that's why I prefer the larger rounds.

The Walther P99 you're looking at is comes in a compact and full sized model, the compact being a 9mm, while the full-sized comes in 9mm, .40 and .45 cals. The Beretta Px4 "Storm" comes in both a full and sub-compact model, the sub coming in either 9mm or .40 cal, while the full-sized comes in 9mm,
.40 and .45. Both have rails in case you're into goodies like mini-flashlights or laser sights.

But as Dillinger and others say, get to a gun shop, preferably one that has an indoor range. Mine has a good assortment that they will let you shoot, that's probably why they sell so many. Find something that first FEELS GOOD in your grip. If you can shoot it, all the better. Different weapons handle recoil better than others. If you can't shoot it, find a gun club. Guys (and Gals) will have a whole assortment of different weapons you can shoot. Enthusiasts just LOVE to show off their weapons. If you were in SW Ohio, I'd bring everything I have to the range and let you shoot it.

Watch the Forums, and heed some advice.

BTW, of the two weapons you listed, I'd grab the Beretta. I've fired my buddie's P99 and love it. Plus, a big plus, it has a thumb safety, something any 1911 shooter loves. I've also fired the Walther, not the Px4, and found it a good weapon. But of the two, the Beretta gets not only my vote, but the Military and S.O.C.O.M. It's rugged to the point of being almost bulletproof.

Good Luck,

Bob

Old 12-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by retleo99 View Post
What are you going to use it for? I don't mean robbing banks and such like Dillinger would . Bob
Most of that is still ALLEGED Bob - Those reports were outright lies and Hoover had ulterior motives for singling me out.....LOL

JD

Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retleo99 View Post
I'm personally not real fond of the 9mm after a situation where I scored two good hits and the bad guy stayed on his feet long enough to get to me with a large knife before collapsing
I've said it before; I am definitely not cut out for a life of crime. Point any weapon at me, even a .22, and say "bang" and I'll be out of the fight. Who are these criminals who can take a 9mm hit and keep on ticking?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Neither. Go with an Smith and Wesson M&P 40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Most of that is still ALLEGED Bob - Those reports were outright lies and Hoover had ulterior motives for singling me out.....LOL

JD
Hoover like little boys too...

Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglass View Post
Look before you leap. Be sure to take a gander at the M&P line, as these Poly's are getting rave reviews. I sold my Glock 17 after shooting a M&P9 and M&P40 at the range.

Reviews:
* http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/polysh_032707/
* http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/20_1/features/Full-Size-Pistol-Comparison5574-1.html
* http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=777
* http://www.policelink.com/products/products/368-smith-wesson-mp-40

This is my little slice of heaven... Heaven is decorated in two-tones and gold-dots.
Do the M&Ps come with white lettering like that now or did you do it yourself? I bought mine the day they became available and it does not have white lettering like that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #17

I am a big guy and I carry a Px4 in a .45. It is a great gun. no problems.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In Benji View Post
I'm looking at a Beretta Px4 or a Walther P99 anyone wanna help me out with pros or cons please. Oh and I've looked around online but if anyone could tell me first hand what some prices are real quick that would be great. Going shopping later in the week when I have a day off just be good to know a better idea.

Thanks guys....oh and I'm new to the forums so show me some love.
I just picked up my 9mm P99 AS last week, $639 NIB and local. It's been dead reliable and a tack driver to boot. There's nothing about it I don't like.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Do the M&Ps come with white lettering like that now or did you do it yourself? I bought mine the day they became available and it does not have white lettering like that.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question...

The white lettering was done by me with a white lacquer stick. White lacquer sticks are used by gunsmiths for filling in the sunken lettered areas, because the coloring becomes permanent once it's cured.

If you plan on doing this yourself, make sure that you are sure you will really like the end result. (IT is permanent) I chose not to fill in every engraved spot on the gun. I only wanted to color the parts with meaning like the M&P and S&W logos.

You will need a lacquer stick and a small bottle of mineral oil for wiping the smudges off the slide before they become part of the slide. (That's it.)

Directions:
  • Rub the lacquer stick onto the engraved area to fully fill the depression
  • wipe off excess lacquer with a smooth dry cloth (rough cloths can dig into the filled areas)
  • Use a dab of mineral oil on the smooth cloth to wipe the slide clean of remaining lacquer.
  • Let cure for a week (Don't touch the slide until fully cured or it WILL smudge)

Have fun and be safe.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #20
sr2

I am with the M&P guys in here. I own both the full size and compact .40. I love how they feel in my hand. They both go bang everytime I pull the trigger. Having more than 500 rounds through each of them, I do not ancipate any hiccups down the road.