First Handgun Purchase.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Handgun Purchase.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Handgun Purchase.

It won't be too long before I turn 21, so I've been looking around at different manufacturers, different handguns, reading reviews, etc. And I think I have my first one picked out, a CZ SP-01. I like the fact that it's DA/SA and has a grip angle similar to a 1911(I plan on getting one eventually), it's affordabe(around $550 on Gunbroker), and from what I hear CZ makes some excellent firearms. The only bad thing I've heard on the SP-01 is the trigger needs a pretty good break-in period, but other than that everything else has been good. It's heavy, which is fine as this will only be a range/HD gun, plus it'll help tame recoil, which I've heard is very light.

I also plan on going down and doing the CCW class the first Saturday after my birthday and getting that out of the way. Then, once my permit comes in, as long as I like the SP-01, I plan on picking up a CZ 2075 RAMI for concealed carry.Seems to be a small, light, nice carry piece, plus it comes with an extended magazine for a better grip for range use.

Anyone have any thoughts suggestions on maybe another pistol I should take a look at before I buy the SP-01? I do plan on going to a local gun store and holding it first, but other than that any info, personal experience, etc? Any info would be much appreciated.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've had a CZ 75B 9mm and a Rami as well. Both were outstanding pistols. You won't go wrong with either of you choices, CZ makes excellent quality firearms.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

CZ makes a fine gun, very solid & reliable. I have never been a fan of the rather mushy trigger though. I had a P-01 for a time and while it fit my hand like it was custom made for me, the trigger was just pitiful. A buddy of mine is a CZ freak and he's sent all of his in for trigger jobs and they are much better after than before.

I'm a 1911 trigger snob so of course this affects my opinions but I've found most Sigs have a far better DA/SA trigger than CZs...

Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I've had a CZ 75B 9mm and a Rami as well. Both were outstanding pistols. You won't go wrong with either of you choices, CZ makes excellent quality firearms.
Thanks CA, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
CZ makes a fine gun, very solid & reliable. I have never been a fan of the rather mushy trigger though. I had a P-01 for a time and while it fit my hand like it was custom made for me, the trigger was just pitiful. A buddy of mine is a CZ freak and he's sent all of his in for trigger jobs and they are much better after than before.

I'm a 1911 trigger snob so of course this affects my opinions but I've found most Sigs have a far better DA/SA trigger than CZs...
Most reviews said the trigger was moderate at best, but that it got better after 800-1000 rounds. Just curious, do you know what your friend payed for the trigger jobs from CZ?

I'm sure that 1911 trigger will spoil you, my buddy has a 5" Kimber that I've shot a few times and it's NICE and I would love to get one, but I don't have the money for one. The gun so much wouldn't be the problem, it's the ammo. Being as this will be my first handgun, I'm hoping to be able to practice a lot, hopefully at least once a week, and I couldn't afford to do that with .45 ACP.

Ill definitely check out some Sigs as well. Any models you would suggest that are steel framed in both a full size and sub compact?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"