First Handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGwarhawk View Post
So far it sounds like a .22 would fit my needs. Do you think that I should purchase a gun at a gun store or a gun show? I was also looking at the ruger mark iii is that a nice gun?
Doesn't really matter much where you buy it. But if the prices are comparable, it's always a good idea to start developing a relationship with your local gun shop (LGS). And the Ruger Mk III is generally considered on of the finest 22's available.

Quote:
Does look a little pricey for me though..Does anyone know if I would be able to handle a kel tec pm9? It looks perfect accept it might have a little to much recoil.
Quote:
Or even maybe the bersa .380
I don't think I would recommend those two. They will be much more expensive to feed meaning less shooting. And they will not be as enjoyable to shoot as the 22's. Those guns are made to be concealable first and foremost. Most very small guns for concealed carry make horrible range guns. Even with the lower recoil of a .380 round, you can get tired of them on the range fairly quickly. Odds are that will never happen with the Ruger.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #12

I paid $330 out the door for my p22 walther. I have seen ruger 22/45 for 250.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My first handgun was, and I still have it,a Daewoo .40 cal. Made in Clackamas Oregon at the old Kimber facility. Paid $299 back in 1994. Great gun!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #14

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'd stick with a .22, it's cheaper to feed, and great for young people as far as recoil and economical practice go.

You can handle (probably) a .380 or 9mm, but I really think you would be best off with a .22.

I got my first gun (12 gauge mossberg 500) when I was 10, and I'm pretty sure it's had something to do with my shoulder being wrecked now. Don't go too big, too fast.

You might be man enough to handle a bigger gun at your age, but that doesn't mean your body is.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #15

I would go with either a glock or a ruger handgun. They are very reliable

Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Or even maybe the bersa .380
Like most others, I believe the best place to start is with a .22. Bersa offers a Thunder .22LR which is the same size & close to the same weight as their .380. It would be an ideal trainer to move up to the .380 later. Not to mention that .22R ammo is a lot cheaper than .380.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Does look a little pricey for me though..Does anyone know if I would be able to handle a kel tec pm9? It looks perfect accept it might have a little to much recoil.
I assume you mean PF9. The answer is an emphatic NO, you DO NOT want this gun.

I have one and am very happy with it. Why? Because it's a reliable, light weight, and extremely concealable gun. It was designed for convenient concealed carry, and fails miserably in any other role (home defense, target shooting, etc). It is not a gun that's easy to be accurate with, nor is it much fun to shoot. Lousy trigger, short sight radius (less margin for error), strong recoil, and not designed for high volume shooting.

The Bersa 380acp will have some similar drawbacks, but mostly it fails to meet your needs because it's not a very affordable caliber to shoot.

Buy a 22lr. And if you're determined to go with a centerfire, set your sights on a medium framed 9mm or a 357/38 revolver. A "micro" carry gun isn't going to do you any favors.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Is this a first gun purchase? I assume you have fired some. I played with a 9mm often before I went out and bought my first. Get an idea of what feels best in tour hand. And go from there. If it doesn't feel good. You most likely won't like it. My thoughts!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Go to gun shows and keep your eyes open for any Ruger Mark I,II or III. Over the years I've seen a variety of them with different barrel lengths and occasionally with target bull barrels with adjustable sites. Out here in S.W. Oregon we have a couple of add papers that often have firearms for sale, one is called the Nickel, if you have something like that where you live check them out. Ruger pistols are often held onto for life and seldom have problems that a good cleaning doesn't take care of. There is only one time I had a Mark I fail to fire and it was due to gummy lube, probably from hunting out in the cold rain or snow in the mountains of Colorado. I change to a lube that didn't gum up and never had another problem. By the way I don't sell Rugers, I just happen to believe they are some of the toughest built firearms on the market.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #20

I own a ruger mk iii. It is a great .22. I'm pretty sure my kids will own it someday. I have put roughly 3000 rounds through over 5 years, and I could probably count the misfeeds on one hand. $300 will get you a good used one. Make sure you get it with a manual, or find one online. They can be tricky to clean, and you'll wan the factory directions.

More important than what gun, take a beginners course. Remember, there is no such thing as an unloaded gun. Treat it like it is always loaded. Have fun, welcome to the sport!