Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaljr82 View Post
Okay, so I am finally going to buy my first (and hopefully not my last) hangdgun this weekend, but I am torn between 3 particular guns. First off, I am looking to get a 9mm. I figured this would be a good gun to use to teach my wife to shoot (she has never fired a gun in her life) so I figured a 9mm would be easiest (perhaps I am wrong). This gun will be used most for plinking at the range and for home safety. After a scare in the neighborhood, my wife finally agreed that I should have a handgun to keep our family safe (especially with our first little set to arrive any day)

The guns I am looking at are:
Taurs Millenium Pro 9mm ($399)
S&W Sigma 9VE ($379)
Ruger P95 ($350)

These all fit into my price range (trying to keep it as much under $400 as possible so I can afford a nice gun safe, nice cleaning kit as well as maybe an extra magazine)

Please offer me any advice you may have!! Thanks much!
Of the three I can only recommend the Ruger. Taurus I would rate a zero
The Sigma a five out of ten because of the heavy long trigger.
Rugers are generally good guns. But if I may. In the same price range recommend the Bersa Thunder Pro in 9mm. I have it and would recommend it over all the ones on your list.
It is a fine pistol at a fine price.

It has the easiest brake down of any gun I have ever seen. Easier than Glock, XD/XDm, Walther, much easier than a Ruger. Has a all metal frame, 17+1 capacity, black or duo tone. and accurate as h e double hockey sticks

Old 06-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Well, I would have to go with the ergonomically designed Sigma, the moment you raise it, your point of aim is straight, every time. Aiming is as easy as pointing your finger!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike View Post
I think for home defense the best weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun.

Nothing is going to beat the stopping power.

You can also have fun trap and skeet shooting with it.
Did ya miss the part where the OP said he was hoping to teach his wife to lern to shoot on whatever he buys ?

Starting a first time shooter either man or woman on a 12 gauge is wonderful way to turn them off of the sport and even scare the heck out of those intending to only use it for home defense and most will never give it a try again .

It would sure be nice if everyone would read the original OP's post in a thread and then use a little common sense prior to joining in a discussion .

Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #14

OK, let's reset. For a first gun and one that you will have your wife shooting (who has never fired a gun before) - - - start with a .22lr. Ruger is the first one that comes to mind, but there are many others that will do just fine.

Start your shooting career with a gun/caliber that will be easy to learn with and NOT set you up for some bad habits. The .22lr is an excellent choice there.
Here is a web page on Shooting a Handgun that has some good information and - most importantly - some links to videos that are very helpful.

I only slightly disagree with the comment about two or more 1911s in a safe multiplying - I think it only takes one.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #15

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom-1911 View Post
Of the three I can only recommend the Ruger. Taurus I would rate a zero
The Sigma a five out of ten because of the heavy long trigger.
Rugers are generally good guns. But if I may. In the same price range recommend the Bersa Thunder Pro in 9mm. I have it and would recommend it over all the ones on your list.
It is a fine pistol at a fine price.

It has the easiest brake down of any gun I have ever seen. Easier than Glock, XD/XDm, Walther, much easier than a Ruger. Has a all metal frame, 17+1 capacity, black or duo tone. and accurate as h e double hockey sticks
I have a friend that has a Thunder in 40 S&W, it's a quality weapon with an affordible price. He had a Ruger P95, great weapon like most all Rugers built like a tank, for him it was too fat for his hand.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #16

Thanks for all of the replies.
After a little more research, I am likeing the Bersa (hadn't even really heard about it until here) and I also am really liking the ruger SR9. It is slightly over $400 but looks like a Very nice gun.
As for the Shotgun, yeah, have a shotgun, not really enthused about teaching my wife how to shoot it as she is already scared of guns the way it is.
HAving shot .22 Rifles most of my childhood, the thought of a .22 pistol really just doesn't do it for me (maybe it's ego or something). I would rather just spend the money on a decent 9mm.

I will see if my shop can order Bersa's and see what they run, Bersa aside, I am really most interested in the two Ruger's. any reason why I should or should not choose the SR9 or the P95 (aside from the obvious).
Thanks again!

Also, no matter what, I will let you know what I end up getting, and get some pics up for your trouble.
Slainte!!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The .22 platform is great for teaching (and practicing) fundamentals. It's less intimidating to a new shooter, and it's economical.

If you don't have the budget for two guns, I recommend borrowing a .22 from a friend and starting your wife on that.

I took a friend and his wife to the range so he could teach her to shoot the 9mm he had picked up for home defense. I brought along a .22 — he requested it, but I would have brought it anyway. She started out on that. After firing it a few times and getting the hang of it (and the noise of an indoor range) she moved up to the 9mm, though she didn't like the recoil as much. After shooting that for a while, I let her shoot my Glock 30 (.45 ACP). She didn't care for the recoil at all, but she went through the whole magazine. She went back to the 9mm and decided the recoil wasn't so bad after all. By the time we left the range, she was shooting better than her husband. But it started with a .22.

Personally, I take a .22 on every range trip. I can afford a lot more repetitions that way. I'll shoot about a hundred rounds of .22 and 20 or so of whatever "big boy" gun(s) I brought along. That keeps the cost down and the practice reps up.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #18

Yeah, I definitely do not have the budget to buy two guns right now, but will definitely see about getting my wife to shoot ina .22 first.
There are a few ranges that rent guns here so that might be just the thing.
Thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #19

Don't forget the Stoeger Cougar 8000. Its a Beretta for half price. You can find them
for $360 around here. Great pistol designed by Beretta manufactured by Stoeger a subsidiary of Beretta.
Genitron.com: Comparing 3 Guns|SW9VE|P95 (P-95)|Cougar|
Has the Beretta PX4 rotating barrel that cuts down on recoil. A bit smaller than the ruger and Smith.

Last edited by group17; 06-18-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #20

awesome.
I hadn't really looked into that either. I like the comparison linkyou sent, thanks man.
Another option.
Now I feel overwhelmed.