Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Handgun

Okay, so I am finally going to buy my first (and hopefully not my last) hangdgun this weekend, but I am torn between 3 particular guns. First off, I am looking to get a 9mm. I figured this would be a good gun to use to teach my wife to shoot (she has never fired a gun in her life) so I figured a 9mm would be easiest (perhaps I am wrong). This gun will be used most for plinking at the range and for home safety. After a scare in the neighborhood, my wife finally agreed that I should have a handgun to keep our family safe (especially with our first little set to arrive any day)

The guns I am looking at are:
Taurs Millenium Pro 9mm ($399)
S&W Sigma 9VE ($379)
Ruger P95 ($350)

These all fit into my price range (trying to keep it as much under $400 as possible so I can afford a nice gun safe, nice cleaning kit as well as maybe an extra magazine)

Please offer me any advice you may have!! Thanks much!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have not owned any of those firearms, so I can't really help. However, there are folks here that do. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you decide.

BTW, welcome here. Please head over to the New Member Introductions and introduce yourself to the gang.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Of the three listed, the only one I'd buy is the Ruger. The Sigma is a decent reliable gun but it has a terrible trigger and is difficult for a newbie to shoot well. As this will be your only gun - please avoid anything made by Taurus.

Do a Google search, or just search here, for why I said this...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #4

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have the P95,and it's a good gun,it's huge,but that's what makes a reliable gun,all the parts don't jam against each other.Mine was $350,I have seen it other places cheaper,but $350 is about right if it's at a small gunshop.It's accurate and the bullet goes pretty much dead on where you put that combat front sight,not real high or low like some guns.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Thank goodness that the 1911 is not on the list. They have a habit of multiplying when you keep 2 in the safe.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 226 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaljr82 View Post
The guns I am looking at are:
Taurs Millenium Pro 9mm ($399)
S&W Sigma 9VE ($379)
Ruger P95 ($350)
Taurus- hit or miss quality, not a worthy gamble if money's tight
Sigma- not a bad gun, but you shouldn't have to pay a penny more than $300
P95- sort of a vanilla option. nothing fancy, but a good reliable pistol

Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Ruger. I'd consider the Sigma if I found a new/like-new gun for about $250. And yes, they can be had for that. A guy on a local trading board here just sold a like-new Sigma 40ve for $200.

It'd really be worth looking into used 357/38 revolvers as well as used Glocks, XDs, CZs, etc. There's a lot of good used stuff around the $400 mark, and these guns are durable and hold their value well. Example: I just saw a like new 3" stainless GP100 on consignment at the gun shop for $450 the other day...and if taken care of, down the line that gun will likely command $200 more at resale than any of the guns you listed...and it'll be easier to sell as well.

You can also get into a very serviceable shotgun for $200. I don't particularly enjoy SGs, but like anyone else...I've got one. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, nothing can touch them for home defense.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #7

EAA makes a Windicator .38 special/.357 Magnum revolver I paid $250 for mine.

That should allow you ammo $$$.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

kaljr82 being Old school I think you would be far better off with a good revolver in 357 for your stated purpose of a Home defense and general use weapon .

Don't get caught up in all the movie and TV garbage a revolver is still just a capable of doing these jobs today as they have always been and they are much easier to make Safe if you have a family with little kids even if they are just visitors and not living with you .

When it comes to starting out a total begginner there is nothing better than a 4 inch 357 loaded with 38's target WadCutter loads as they are very very light in recoil and as mild as far as Noise is concerned .

And FYI there isn't a thing wrong with Taurus quality , fact is as they are a Manufacture that prides themselves on keeping their prices in a range where the average Joe can afford them their sales volume is rather high and when you have that kind of sale numbers even an average number of QC problems if they slip by get exagerated by the buying public . This and the fact that when Taurus first started out like all new maker had problems to be ironed out and they just can't shake the bad rep the gained yet no longer deserve decades ago .

I have owned both new and used Taurus handguns and not a single one has ever had any problems by contrast my first New gun Was a Brand spanking New S&W model 586 357 and it had to be sent in for repair right away due to empties sticking in the cylinders .

Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I vote for the Smith & Wesson Sigma, and the $50 factory rebate.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike View Post
I think for home defense the best weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun.

Nothing is going to beat the stopping power.

You can also have fun trap and skeet shooting with it.
I'm amazed: a post by Cmike that doesn't make me cringe!

A shotgun easily fits into the price range given. Plus, ammo options are extremely versatile. However, there were a few key needs the OP stated that a shotty doesn't really meet.

-They'd need a tall safe to be able to fit it, instead of something smaller that could fit a closet better.
-This firearm needs to be used by husband and wife and a 12-gauge can pack a pretty tough recoil. (my wife HATES the shotgun, but the 9mm is fine for her)
-They really seem to want a handgun.

My 2 cents is buy used from a reputable shop. That would really open up your options and still keep the price tag under $400.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face