First Handgun???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First Handgun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Handgun???

Hello,

I am looking to buy a handgun. I'v looked around and would like to hear some feed back on a few weapons. i have fire glocks and i like them other than for concealed carry. I came across a FNP .40 the other day and almost couldnt walk out of the shop without it. so i guess what i'm askin here is what are the diff. carry opions for the FNP and and suggestions on any other handguns. thanks.

also if you have an FNP what kinda holster do you use, feel free to post pictures.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my opinion handguns need to fit you the same as a pair of shoes. When it feel right, you know it. I'm partial to full size frames and we don't have concealed carry in Wisconsin, so my mod. 22 suits me fine. I guess if we do get concealed carry in Wisconsin I'll just have a bigger bulge in my pants.

Just my way of impressing the ladies.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Springfield xd or xdm, CZ Sp-01 phantom, taurus judge

Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #4

I personally like double action revolvers for personal defense. I currently own a Taurus 605 and am considering a Ruger SP-101. There is not much to mess up if you are forced to use it. I think a .357 has a lot to offer for a defensive load. But it is all up to you and what you are comfortable with. Practice is probably the most important thing. Devolping good muscle memory and techniques at the range can pay dividends in the long run.
Clay

From his last and possibly best movie "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
John Wayne

Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioroftheland View Post
Hello,

I am looking to buy a handgun. I'v looked around and would like to hear some feed back on a few weapons. i have fire glocks and i like them other than for concealed carry. I came across a FNP .40 the other day and almost couldnt walk out of the shop without it. so i guess what i'm askin here is what are the diff. carry opions for the FNP and and suggestions on any other handguns. thanks.

also if you have an FNP what kinda holster do you use, feel free to post pictures.
The largest difference between a Glock and a FNP 40 is the FNP has a hammer and a decocking lever. While I'm not a Glock fan the Glock 27 is much smaller than a FNP 40 but the FNP lets you change the back strap to better fit your hand. It all depends on what fits you.

As for holster for the FNP it truly depends on how you want to carry it. I have a Galico shoulder rig, a Desiants belt holster.

Pictures you will have to pony up the $12 membership fee then you can see my FNP 40 with a low profile laser in the bunker

Old 04-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I suggest you look at a S&W M&P 40. Just my personal opinion and my daily carry weapon. It is a very comfortable, reliable, and accurate handgun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The M&P is a better choice than the Glock or the FNP and I expect DTN knows that is my carry pistol in 45 and in 9mm when I'm dressed down or lazy. Thanks for chimming in brother.

I have to say the FNP-40 is a bad ass pistol, it's the only reason I don't have a M&P 40. If you get the chance to shoot a FNP and a M&P the M&P is a better pistol but if you want a hammer instead of a striker the FNP is a truly good choice.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I like the XDm
But in guns 2+2 isn't 4.... buy what you feel comfortable to carry and to shoot....

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #9

thanks for all the info its really helping out. how much does a new xd and xdm run? i can only seem to find used ones for sale online. ( havent been able to get to a shop or call one )

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #10

Personally I like the XD series...they fit my hand better and easy to carry (+ I like the 1911 grip safety)I also like ParaOrdinance...I have a CC Slimhawg.When it comes to firearms...the only opinion that matters is the one 'using the gun' and how it applies to the person.

The idea list goes on and on...XD's are easily priced online,keep searching.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ